Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop display going nuts.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shawninrp

shawninrp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and am hoping someone can help. I am not sure if it is hardware or software related so I apologize if this topic is in the wrong place. I have an HP dv7-3165dx laptop with the standard ATI Mobility Radeon video card, and the display has been going crazy the last couple of days. Sometimes it works okay but not for long. It starts as soon as I power it up. I tried removing the battery and draining the power by holding down the power button but still no luck. Any suggestions on what the problem may be, or troubleshooting steps considering I cannot see anything? I am willing to do a system restore if I can somehow do it with no display. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shawninrp

shawninrp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

I forgot to mention. I also tried using an external monitor but it just duplicates the static on the laptop display.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi, :welcome:

You said

It starts as soon as I power it up

If You enter the Bios setup and leave it there for a while does the problem occur? If so then it is a hardware problem. I'm asking due to Your statement that I quoted above.

If it is hardware Let me know so I can move this post to the proper place as it needs to be moved.

Thank You

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 shawninrp

shawninrp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Roger. Honestly, I can't even get into the bios. The display starts acting up as soon as it turns on. It does work sometimes, but I have had almost no luck at all today. I was actually in the middle of backing up my files through the system restore when it worked once today, and the display went bad right as the backup finished. Haven't been able to get it working since.

Moderator Edit: Hardware Problem, Moved to a more appropriate forum

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 14 August 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#5 shawninrp

shawninrp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

Does anyone have any ideas on what this issue may be?  I would really love to get this resolved soon but have no idea where to start.  I'm not terrible with software issues but unfortunately don't have much experience with hardware, especially laptop hardware issues.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Since the problem displays on both the laptops Screen and a External Screen the problem is the Motherboard. It may not be worth fixing. That depends on the cost of a replacement Motherboard, Labor, Condition of the Laptop otherwise, And the Biggie, what it would cost to replace it.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 shawninrp

shawninrp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

Quick question to go along with this.  I spoke to another tech who said it may be the software driving the video card.  He mentioned getting a recovery disk from HP since mine did not come with one, and trying to do a system restore.  Today, I managed to get into system restore through the hard to understand display (without ordering the disk yet), and the display was perfect while doing a system restore.  When it rebooted, the problem happened again.  Could it possibly be software/driver related considering the display was not completely shot the whole time?  I did also partially take apart the laptop and disconnect/reconnect the monitor cable to the MB, along with the memory, but it didn't make a difference.  This was after the system restore, reboot, and continued issue.  It would be awesome to get this thing fixed considering it is only a few years old and I spent quite a bit on it brand new!  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

It isn't software I'm afraid to have to say. There is no software loaded when the laptop starts up. You might be able to get a little more use out of the laptop if You uninstall the video driver. The problem is occurring when the driver switches the video mode to one that no longer works.

II would suggest calling HP tech support and pushing for a free repair. I have seen people have some luck that way.  You can only lose time trying.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 September 2013 - 03:26 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Let me reiterate what was posted above- If the screen acts up when you are in the boot screen, or in the BIOS screen, then you have a hardware problem.  Any video problem before the OS welcome screen comes up= hardware problem.  The fact it happens on an external monitor as well, likely a problem with the GPU/motherboard.

Looking around it seems that there might be problems with the solder joints from the GPU to the motherboard.  Might be a candidate for an easy reflow job (assuming it is indeed a hardware problem).

EDIT:  The post above mine was added while I was researching.  Agree on calling HP.  I did a LOT of repairs on the NVidia chipsets (Chipgate)years ago, and HP was very accommodating with after warranty coverage.  More so than Dell or anyone else.

Edited by dpunisher, 03 September 2013 - 03:31 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users