Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript task directory does not exist. Please change to home directory.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 osprey1111

osprey1111

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have a question. I recently had to set my system back to factory settings. Now when I go to a new web site using Firefox I get the following error message...

"Javascript task directory does not exist. Please change to home directory."

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate version, 32-bit with both Service pack 1 and 2 installed. I have no idea of how to correct this problem and I know everyone on this forum are brilliant! So any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi osprey1111,

Have you checked to see if you have Java installed: http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

Have you enabled: http://www.activatejavascript.org/en/instructions/firefox

Regards........................

#3 osprey1111

osprey1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hi sikntired,

Love your name and I've got to say lately I feel the same way. Thank you so much for your help. I followed your advise and it seems I had an old version of Java installed. I must have saved that file awhile ago in case I reinstalled my computer (which I just did). Everything else checked out. If I have any more trouble I know where to come for help.

I really appreciate your help. After a long search on the web for answers, I found the right place to come.

Many thanks again and all the very best.

Take care.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Glad to hear you are up and running and on behalf of the Bleeping Computer Community you are most welcome! :)

#5 osprey1111

osprey1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi again. It looks like my problem still exists. I have the latest Java installed and enabled. I've turned off the computer and let it sit for at least 30 seconds before restarting. (I wondered if this might help.) Unfortunately I'm still getting the error message. I'm scrating my head. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hi again, sorry the problem wasn't resolved. Take a look at this link: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7778825_problems-windows-vista-java-software.html

Follow the instructions and report back.

Regards...............

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Two points, I would just get rid of Java for now.

Second point javascript is not Java. What happens if You uninstall Firefox and re-install it? Is this problem happening in Internet Explorer?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 osprey1111

osprey1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thank you both for your help. I'll try both your suggestions and let you know tomorrow how things went. It's not a big problem...just annoying...lol

#9 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

Of course rotor123 is correct in referencing javascript vs java that is why the second link was posted in the initial response.

JavaScript support is built right into all the major web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari. Provided that the visitors to those sites are using web browsers that support JavaScript (most do) and have JavaScript enabled (it is by default), then your JavaScript will run when you visit the page.

With regards to Java given the problems with exploitation and vulnerabilities I choose not to have it. Of course that is a personal choice based upon preferences.

You can try uninstalling and reinstalling as suggested

Good Luck

Regards...................

#10 osprey1111

osprey1111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thank you for the tips. I don't know why I didn't realize that Java and Javascript are different. I know better! I'm really glad you pointed it out because I was mixed up about it. :thumbup2:

So far I've partially solved the problem by creating the folder on my desktop where the error message said it didn't exist. BUT I would like to get the folder back off the desktop and change it to the home directory...wherever that is...lol

I haven't had the chance to read the info on the link yet but I'm going there right now. Wish me luck...

#11 k9dog

k9dog

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:05 AM

Okay I've run into this problem too on my Firefox. Here is what I've done so far:

Searched the directory of my current Useraccount ( C:\Users\<me> ) for any file containing the directory to the wrong user ( C:\Users\<wrongme> )..Came up with something like this

C:\Users\<me>\Appdata\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<firefox_profile_name>\

content-prefs.sqlite

places.sqlite

C:\Users\<me>\Appdata\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<thunderbird_profile name>\

content-prefs.sqlite

extensions.sqlite

mimeTypes.rdf

I guess searching %APPDATA% (C:\Users\<me>\Appdata\Roaming) is enough :-)

I renamed all the *.sqlite files for now (Firefox seems to run normally). I edited the rdf files (unix style line endings .. I use superedi) I searched and replaced all occurances of the string).

In my case I guess mozbackup was to blame (restoring old configuration from old harddisk).

Edited by k9dog, 02 December 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#12 stevenmoberg

stevenmoberg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Had the same issue when migrating my Firefox profile to a new mac.

My issue was with a FireFox plugin that was launching on YouTube so the error did not appear on any other site.

Within the firefox url type "about:config"

Search the values for the invalid path and change it to the correct path.

The filter bar will filter both keys and values and will help identify old configuration values.

close and re-open firefox.

If that does not work try disabling all your firefox extensions and then turn them on on-by-one and test to verify which plugin is causing the error.    Worse case is to just uninstall the extension and then re-add it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users