Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Betcha Can't Fix This Pc.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 msmith40

msmith40

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:16 AM

E-Machine T2885, P4 (2.8ghz) processor, 80gb drive, 1gb ram.

It won't power-on.....no activity at all......processor fan doesn't spin.....no beeps......nothing.
The green l.e.d. on the mboard lights-up............that's all.
I've bypassed the on/off switch.....still nothing.
I've since installed a 2nd brand-new mboard (I've tested 2 brand-new mboards total) into this pc......still nothing.
I've tested everything outside of the pc case.....still nothing.
I've tested without cd-rom, drives, etc. connected.....still nothing.
I've tested with only PSU & RAM only.....still nothing.

These parts have been successfully tested in a spare pc:
Power supply
Processor
Processer fan
RAM

Should I just put a bullet in it?

Thanks!
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

If you have the green power light on the motherboard on but no power to the fan on the processor it still has to be the mobo - or - you have plugged the fan wire to the wrong pins or with the wrong polarity, or you have a mobo that does not support that particular processor.

Do you have a meter to trace and measure electrical voltage?

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

First question - When testing these items are you using the same power outlet as the e-Machine was on?

If yes - Did you try a different power cord?

Can we assume the power supply worked in another machine? And was it on a different power source (outlet) than the original one the e-machine was on?

Since you tried two other brand new motherboards’ there is a couple of connections that are important. Have you had the connections right and that they are working. Working can be checked out using an ohm meter or a test light to check continuity.

More than likely if these parts work in another computer box it is the connectors to the power switch or the power switch that is bad.

#4 msmith40

msmith40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:45 AM

Nope.
Mboards were exact replacements.
Fan is connected properly.

I should've mentioned that I have been a pc tech for more than 7 years, and the guys in the pc repair dept. at my place of business are scratching their heads over this one as well.

Thanks!
Mike

#5 msmith40

msmith40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

Different AC outlets - and cables - have been used.
Yes, PSU (250 watt) has been successfully tested in other machine.
Also, a working PSU from a spare machine was installed into the E-Machine............still nothing.
All connections are proper.

Thanks!
Mike

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

Then the MB has to be bad.

The green light shows the power is getting at least that far.
The processor fan not going means either power is not getting to it or it is an open circuit, and if tested in another pc I would assume no power to it.

Two bad mobos while unusual, is not impossible.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

I have been doing computers for a lot longer than that and have yet to be stumped but if all of these parts work in other enclosures it has to be something in this enclosure. Again run continuity test on all switches and connectors and flex the connections and wires when doing this, it could be a broken wire. Check all of the gounds and this means with an ohm meter, look for oxidation on any of the ground connections, one way to chek the grounds is witha shorting wire from chasis to the ground spots.

I will tell you one thing when you find the solution you will say, "This is Stupid." It always is.

If you and everybody are scratching your head another solution is to find another enclosure and get it to run and then put the old enclosure out on the Thruway and let the traffic have it.

When you find the solution please post it back here I would love to know what the answer is. Too bad we can not get together I would love to work on this one on site.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

I would naturally assume you've tried minimal boot, taking out everything that isn't necessary. A bad CD-Rom or video card can stop a machine dead in its tracks.

Although I've never seen it, I suppose it's even possible to stop a machine with a shorted LED or USB hookup.

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:29 AM

I'm tending to agree with ThorXP here.
I'd be testing the 4 main components on a bench (out of the case) starting with PS,mainboard, cpu w\fan and memory only.

Edited by HitSquad, 22 April 2006 - 10:33 AM.

#10 msmith40

msmith40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

To all,

I absolutely appreciate all who have responded, but please re-read my original post.

I have tested the components outside of the case....spread out on a blanket.
I have performed minimal testing: PSU + mboard = no beeps, no activity.
CPU, CPU fan, and ram work together fine in spare PC
PSU works fine in spare pc.

If/when I do resolve this problem I will definitely post the solution.

At this stage my gut instinct sez I've been using defective mboards, despite them being:
Brand-new
Purchased from 2 completely different locations
Made by different companies

Thanks!
Mike

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:31 PM

Just a thought but when you use another pc there is one thing that is different. Actually the power switch. Try setting it up in the original enclosure and unstead of using the power switch from that enclosure use one from the enclosure that the components worked in.

It almost has to be the powqer switch itself.

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

If mobo has been tested outside of the case and it does not work, yet ram, power supply, and cpu have been tested outside of the case and they work, then there can only be one answer. Bad mobo.

At first I was suspecting some sort of accidental grounding of the mobo, but you have tested everything properly IMHO and narrowed it down. This is actually a no brainer in my book.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#13 msmith40

msmith40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

re: Bad power switch (ThorXP).
Nope!
I bypassed that as well.............used a jumper.
(Actually one of the first 2 or 3 things I'd troubleshooted.....)

re: Bad mobo (Al Frankenstein)
Yes, I would think the same.........and I'm still leaning that way.

But the odds of 3 consecutive mobo's going bad?????
1) The original
2) The 1st replacement (identical board purchased at location xxx)
3) The 2nd replacement (different brand, purchased at location yyy)

............and I'm dreading the purchase of yet a 3rd replacement.....testing it.....and getting no response.

If it comes to that I'll just sh!t-can the pc and shop for a new one.

Thanks!
Mike

#14 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

This is really wierd. All of the parts seem to be good away from the original enclosure. They will not work inthe original enclosure. Suggestion, Chuck the origianal enclosure and save all of the parts. Go buy another enclosure and problem solved and no more eMachine. KaPut!

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:23 PM

If I'm clear on this, the motherboards seem to be damaged, but all other parts seem to work. At least, that's what I gather. And you're having trouble figuring out why so many bad motherboards - which makes me think, perhaps something is killing them. Grounding in the wrong place in the case, perhaps, which screws up the board. Hooking something up that isn't compatible with the board, maybe. I'm just trying to toss out ideas. I'm sure you aren't shuffling across a carpet with a motherboard in your hands, but I agree that either the company isn't very good at building motherboards or there is just too much coincidence here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users