Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it hard to replace my laptops CPU.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adiwalsh

adiwalsh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hi.

SPEC:

Compaq Presario CQ56-102SA

AMD v140 2.3GHz Single Core CPU (s1g4 socket)

6GB DDR3 RAM (Upgraded from stock 2GB)

250GB HDD

Windows 7 64bit

I hope thats enough info. Please ask if more is needed and I'll try get it

A few months ago I decided that I wanted to upgrade my laptop as it isnt really fast enough for what I do. (video editing and rendering)  

I first bought 6GB of RAM and installed that with no problems, the laptop improved but not by a great deal. Someone suggested I upgrade the CPU so I stupidly thought that any CPU with an S1G4 socket would be compatible with my motherboard. I bought a Tri Core AMD Processor (cant remember which one) and iinstalled it myself using internet tutorial videos as my only guide. I tried to boot up the laptop after I had replaced the CPU and re assembled it but I just got a black screen so I did some searching on my other computer and found that the CPU I bought was not supported by my motherboard (or BIOS?!?). Anyway I put the old original CPU back in and the computer booted fine, but there was a problem. The computer would no longer charge so I bought a new DC port and fitted it but it still wouldnt charge. I was later told that I had fried the motherboard either by trying the new processor or doing something wrong when I fitted it.

I have not bought a new motherboard but I still have the same slow processor so I am still looking to upgrade. The new processor I want is listed in my laptop manual as compatible so does that mean I will be able to buy it and fit it myself and the computer will work with no problems? Or should I buy it and get a professional to fit it?

Thanks for any help received, Adi.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

its likely you fried the motherboard with the new CPU-it probably drew to much power and over volted something, thats why its important to check the compatibility list first. As far as installing a new one, if you know what your doing, are extremely careful and have good thermal paste, you can do it yourself. If your not comfortable doing it, a professional is more expensive but a safer bet.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 adiwalsh

adiwalsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hi. Your reply pretty much confirmed what I was already thinking about why the motherboard stopped charging. The best processor listed in my computers manual is a 35W dual core so would any 35W processor with the same socket work with my machine?

Thanks a lot for the useful info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users