Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media 9 (file Editor And Encoder)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lavenderbag

lavenderbag

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:04 AM

For some months I have used Windows Media9 File Editor for audio and some video.
But it now won`t open a file when I click on "open". The viewing screen does not appear. It tells me to enter figures in HOUR-MINS-SECS, which I do but it still won`t open anything. Then usually the programme freezes and I get the "not responding" message.
I have not knowingly altered or tampered with this programme so I cannot understand why it has worked for so long and now it will not.
I decided to download another Windows Media9, but this does exactly the same.
It constantly freezes and stops responding.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

If you are using Windows XP and Media Player 9.0 is not working properly I would suggest upgrading to verion 10. Go to the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...10/default.aspx

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

Have you recently installed any codecs? Sufficient memory? Is your system time accurate, your BIOS battery good? I'm afraid I don't have much experience with File Editor, and I'm not seeing much in the way of problems with it on the net.

There's this.

For those who want to help, but have no idea what the subject is, look here.

#4 lavenderbag

lavenderbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Thanks ThorXP, but I already have Media Player 10 - thats not the problem. I am referring to Windows Media 9 File Editor and Decoder.
And also thanks Herk.
I had installed a general codec pack (which I since uninstalled). Memory is quite sufficient. Dont know what you mean by "system time" or "BIOS battery", I`m afraid. Sorry

#5 lavenderbag

lavenderbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

By the way Herk the Windows Media 9 site says that the necessary codecs are automatically downloaded with the programme.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:53 PM

Dont know what you mean by "system time" or "BIOS battery"

Well, some PC problems can stem from the clock being off - and sometimes, if the BIOS battery (Little coin-sized battery on the motherboard) gets weak, it doesn't save the settings when the computer shuts down, and the clock's time or date gets wrong. Since you mentioned that it was asking you to input it, I considered that time/date could be an issue. Most BIOS batteries last a long time - maybe five/six years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users