Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Self Built PC > Monitor wont run (No Signal)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SaMichlaus

SaMichlaus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi everyone, first of all, this was my first attempt on building a PC and I don't have much knowledge about Internal Hardware and I got the build from a friend. So he told me which stuff I should buy and basically I now tried to build it together with online Guides, manuals and so on.

Also, here are my PC specs (It's a Gaming PC):

• Intel i5 4670k
  • Intel TS13X (Water Cooling, Closed System)
  • Asus Z87-Pro (Motherboard)
  • Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 620W (Power)
  • Asus VS247N (Monitor)
  • G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz 16GB (RAM)
  • Coolermaster Storm Scout II Adv. (Tower)
  • Gainward GeForce GTX 760 Phantom (Graphics Card)

Ok so here we go, I'll just basically explain what I have done:

I screwed the Motherboard in and it was pretty straightforward. Then I added the i5 chip to the Motherboard. Also no problem, although it took a bit of force to push down the bar and I heard it shouldn't normally, but it fitted in so I thought it's ok.

I then added the RAM into the two golden slots (see image). I read in the instruction that that's the place to put them if you've got 2.

Click here for the Picture.

Then I went on and added the Water Cooling System. I removed the standard Fan of the Towercase and added the one from the TS13X. I must admit it was very complicated and took me about 90min in total until I finally got it. Then I screwed the Fan to the other Cooling thing (sorry no idea what that's called) and screwed it to the case. Also connected them together and pluged it into the Motherboard.

Then I went on to the Graphics Card and added it to the Motherboard in the golden slot (see Picture). I wasn't 100% sure if it goes there, but I seems to be the most logical place for the Graphics Card. Also, it's pretty big so I don't really see it fitting in the lowest one.

Moving on, I then added the Coolermaster Silent Pro M2. The main Power supply. I connected the massive cable to the Motherboard and the smaller one too. Then I connected it with the to the SSD, the HDD and the CD Drive. I used two of the 6pin cables that then goes into a 8pin and then in a 6pin and 2pin Cable (see Picture).

The grey part went into the Power Supply and the other 6pin into the Graphics Card and this I did twice.

For the finishing part I connected most of the small cables. Including the USB 3.0 cable, USB 2.0 cable, P+ LED, P- LED, HDD LED +, HDD LED -, Power SW, Reset SW

I didn't connect AC'97 and HD Audio because I couldn't find the place where they belong and I thought they're not essentially for the boot up process and I could do it later.

So having that all done, I then tried to boot up the PC. The Motherboard was flashing, the Watercooler was running and had a blue LED running (see second Image). Also, the Keyboard and the Mouse are powered which run into the Motherboard.
Now the main problem that I have, is that the Monitor wont get any signal. I don't know why. I tried 2 different Monitors with the same result.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Jack.

Edited by SaMichlaus, 14 August 2013 - 07:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

Did you hook your monitor into the onboard video on the motherboard to double check?

Before I throw out a bunch of stuff hoping some of it will stick, get your owners manual, somewhere around section 1.2.8 there is a description of your diagnostic LEDs, read it.

Reset your BIOS to default.  After the basics are covered, then you can start removing components and searching for a hardware problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 SaMichlaus

SaMichlaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

Did you hook your monitor into the onboard video on the motherboard to double check?

Yes I did. I used the onboard video and then afterwards I tried to use the white one next to it, both didn't work.

Before I throw out a bunch of stuff hoping some of it will stick, get your owners manual, somewhere around section 1.2.8 there is a description of your diagnostic LEDs, read it.

Ok, the Motherboard LED is on. The VGA_LED is on (after I changed the Power Supply to a different cable).

I can't check on the BOOT_DEVICE_LED because the Graphics card is too big and I can't see it.

CPU_LED and DRAM_LED are not on.

CPU has to do with the i5 processor right?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

What does your "Q-Code" LED readout show?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 SaMichlaus

SaMichlaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Sorry for the late reply I was checking if the i5 was 100% correct in which it is.

It says "b2"..

#6 SaMichlaus

SaMichlaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Sorry for the late reply I was checking if the i5 was 100% correct in which it is.

It says "b2"..

I now changed the power suply of the VGA and now i get "AE"

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I think we have a little terminology confusion.  VGA is a connector.  And none of those codes are listed.

Go ahead and remove your video card completely.  Plug monitor into the onboard DVI or VGA  socket.

I will be out for the next 4-5 hours or so (3 service calls).  Anyone who wants to chime in with ideas, feel free.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

I was just about to suggest what dPunisher said, but he said it a lot better :).

I would go into the BIOS, make sure that onboard video is selected (if optional) and enabled...remove the NVIDIA card completely.  Save the changes in the BIOS.

Connect monitor to onboard video output.

Boot the system.

Anytime that I've been in a similar situation (no life, no boot)...it was because I had connected the Control Panel wires incorrectly.  You may want to revisit that motherboard manual page and just re-do the connections.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users