Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what died

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Started my desk top this AM got normal post beeps and video info on screen then nothing, no boot info appears it just goes to a black screen.  After a minute or so the monitor indicator light flashes as if it has no incoming signal, tried the reset s couple of times after a couple of tries no more post beeps.  The system is home built about 4 years old running XP, ideas always welcome will be tearing into it a little later.

Phil

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2013 - 10:49 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Can you start in Safe Mode?

Can you try another monitor that you know runs ok?

What does tried the reset a couple of times mean?

If any error messages show up, please report what they are exactly as written and what activity you are doing when it does show up

#3 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

record how many beeps it sounds while it is booting up. depending on the make and model of your pc, this information can help you diagnose the issue. My first thought is your RAM may have come loose, but get the beep count, and either post that, or look up the info online for your make and model.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Opened it up cleared a few dust bunnies, switched HD cables to back up drive no change.  Monitor aplet shows no vidio signal,

pulled vidio card to see if on board graphics would work NG, it does not feel like HD is spinning up.  Guessing the MB may be the cause, there are no beeps and nothing appears on screen.  Used it last night all was fine, only got post beeps on first try this AM.

Phil

#5 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Are you able to boot of an external drive, or a dvd? ( install disk, or a dvd based OS like knopix or ubuntu)

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Just gave it another try, CD lights up and HD light stays on constant no flashing, all fans run still no beeps and nothing on screen.  I still have 3 up and running so a fix can go slow, I found a refurb MB cheap.  If it turns out not to be the problem it will give me excuse to upgrade my old Dell backup machine, I have a couple of extra power supplies so I can dump the dell wacky wired one.

Phil

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

Take the ram out and see if you can force a beep out of it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Pulled the ram no effect!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

You didn't answer whether you can boot into safe mode or not>

If it turns out not to be the problem it will give me excuse to upgrade my old Dell backup machine, I have a couple of extra power supplies so I can dump the dell wacky wired one.

If you are replacing the PSU in the Dell you need to be aware that some of their PSUs are not ATX compliant, not only in the color codes for the different rails, but dimensionally as well.  If this is the case a ATX PSU will not fit.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

You didn't answer whether you can boot into safe mode or not>

If it turns out not to be the problem it will give me excuse to upgrade my old Dell backup machine, I have a couple of extra power supplies so I can dump the dell wacky wired one.

If you are replacing the PSU in the Dell you need to be aware that some of their PSUs are not ATX compliant, not only in the color codes for the different rails, but dimensionally as well.  If this is the case a ATX PSU will not fit.

I have a couple of boxes I can make most any thing work, Dell has always had priority wiring on their PSU's.  I need to throw some of this stuff out!!!!!!

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

???

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

Back and frustrated!   Installed refurb board, still no beeps.  Figured maybe the chip died, ordered another one.  Put it in still no beeps, tried with nothing plugged into the board no change.  Tried with no ram NG, fans spin up ok.  Deciding next step!

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Even though VGA mode didn't work it still might make sense to try a known working monitor

It seems your power supply works

Another MB didn't help, it sounds like it shouldn't be a MB problem

Can you boot into setup?

--- If you can, try your XP install disc to see if you can check out some diagnostic utilities

--- If you can't you might need to update the BIOS driver!

--- Do you have a disc with the drivers on it?

--- Who is your BIOS manufacturer?

------ Since this is a home built computer, do you have the MB etc manual(s) for it so you can investigate BIOS beep codes and troubleshooting procedures that apply to this computer? 

On the tower, do you have diagnostics lights on it?

--- If so, what colors are the LEDS?

--- It sounds like all of them could be red but if you have them, check them out

On the MB, is there a flicker light?

--- If so what color is it?

Even though the computer was running ok is there something that was happening that suddenly could have caused this problem?

Not knowing how many RAM sticks you have, pull all of them out, install only one back in into slot 0, and try booting into Safe Mode

--- if that doesn't work, work that same stick into each one of the other slots.

--- If that doesn't help, set the tested RAM stick aside and repeat the same pattern for each one of the other RAM sticks

I've read on some sites to disconnect the keyboard. I don't understand how that applies into a no-beep situation but if all else fails, consider trying that idea

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Another idea: change the MB battery

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

New battery and my other working monitor show nothing but black!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users