Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot uninstall MS Essentials, cannot download <anything>

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 manishmatu

manishmatu

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:26 AM

Hi experts,

I am in a fix. I need your help. I have a HP laptop running Windows 7.

I had installed MS Essentials as my anti-virus software since I bought the laptop. Worked fine, till a few weeks back. A few weeks back, I noticed that MS Essentials was not running. Could not open or start it. Tried to uninstall it .... but, it kept saying that I have insufficient priviledges. I am logged in as main user with administrator rights.

Then, a couple of weeks back, I bought Kaspersky PURE 2.0 and installed it. It scanned the laptop and everything was fine. BUT, I cannot download any file .... document, program, email attachment, nothing. I get a message saying a virus was detected and the file deleted.

I searched this forum, and read about TDSS. So, I tried to follow the instructions ... but, I cannot download TDSSKiller ... or any other program. Same message .... virus was detected and the file deleted.

So, is my laptop really infected ? How do I uninstall MS Essentials ? How do I download stuff again ?

I would rate myself as a moderate knowledgable user .... def not an expert. So, pls be sufficiently detailed in your instructions.

Thanx in advance.

cheers,

- manish

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2013 - 07:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 manishmatu

manishmatu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Further update .....

Used Chrome to download TDSSKiller. TDSSKiller says everything is fine ..... no infection.

Why does IE say virus detected for any download ? How do I uninstall MS Security Essentials ? Am I really infected ?

Thanx in advance.

cheers,

- manish

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hello manish

First .. Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.

If you still cannot download. Try going to another computer and downloading this onto a Flash Drive or CD, then run it off that...

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 1
  • Link 2
    • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
    • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
    • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
    • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
    • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 manishmatu

manishmatu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Done as u mentioned, boopme.

The log file from Rkill says ZEROACCESS rootkit sympoms found. Then, it lists 3 file extensions.

Then, it says ZEROACCESS Reparse Point/Junction found. Then, it lists many file extensions.

To all other tests, the log file says no issues found. At the end of Rkill run, a pop up message came up to run my normal security programs.

I ran Kaspersky PURE 2.0. No threats found.

So, I guess, I am fine !!!!

Thanx a ton, boopme for ur help. Appreciate it.

I still can't download any file using IE ... says a virus is present and file deleted. I can download files using Chrome.

I can't uninstall MS Security Essentials either.

But, these are not critical issues .... so, no worries.

cheers,

- manish

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Sorry for the delay, was out of town.. We need to manually remove this. Start a new topic as explained in the guide. Name it stubborn 0Access.

We need to get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users