Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BSOD and freeze win/linux

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mcmaur_*

Guest_mcmaur_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:42 AM

I had a partition with linux and windows. Linux had problems: often after a variable time from power the laptop without apparent reason is stuck and does not respond to the keyboard and mouse and I'm forced to hold down the power button to shutdown.... I retrieved the journal log: http://db.tt/06UXUblB

So I decided to format but windows had many BSOD .... So I did a bios upgrade taking it from f23 to f29 and completed upgrades to windows update I had.
log of speecy  minitoolbox & windows update here:

I then noticed then that the system does not turn off at all because it turns off only the screen and that many times the system has some frostbite that impede the normal functioning forcing me to turn off with the physical button.

inside the above file there is a link a memory dump that is here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9616624/MEMORY.DMP

The same problem of freezing for linux and sometimes fails to complete the normal shutdown procedure too. So I have done the memtest for eight hours without being no problem, same result for tests of memory and disk included in the bios of HP.

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Hi

Your issue might be probably caused by faulty memory module(s). So please verify the integrity of RAM modules by running Memtest86+. Refer the instruction from below tutorial for detailed step by step guide.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

You should run at least 7 or more passes for an accurate result. You can stop the test either when there are red lines shown on the screen or the test completes seven passes. Refer part 3 of the guide if there are errors appears. 

#3 Guest_mcmaur_*

Guest_mcmaur_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

As I said before "So I have done the memtest for eight hours without problem" but i will do tonight again.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi

Since both Windows and Linux shows freezing issues, it is definitely a hardware issue. It could be either memory, overheating, or a motherboard level fault. If the system contains more than one memory module, run the system only one module plugged at a time. This method is more accurate than running Memtest86+. If the issue happens with both modules, disassemble the laptop and carefully clean inside. Apply new thermal paste on CPU and replace the thermal pad on chipset. 

#5 Guest_mcmaur_*

Guest_mcmaur_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

It's a laptop and I've never opened one. The results of memtest are good:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpgdk22agnja99h/IMG_20130815_061715.jpg

What should I do?

Edited by mcmaur, 15 August 2013 - 06:11 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hi

Memtest looks fine. Before disassembling the laptop, try re-installing the OS one more time. This time delete all partitions and clean all data on the hard drive. This will make sure no active malwares are left in the system. If the Windows setup freezes or shows blue screens, we got  100% confirmation of a hardware issue.

Opening a Laptop requires previous experience. Unlike a desktop, laptops uses a lot of locks and thin ribbon cables to connect which may easily breaks. If you are technically skill full, you can do it yourself by referring the official service manual. Otherwise, ask for help from a friend who did it before or approach a PC technician.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 August 2013 - 07:17 AM.

#7 Guest_mcmaur_*

Guest_mcmaur_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

Today I've reinstalled everything again. The "shutdown problem" is solved and the freeze until now are absent. Other news soon.

#8 Guest_mcmaur_*

Guest_mcmaur_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

The freeze problem is absent in Windows 8 but still present in Linux Chakra.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

Hi

Please try another Linux distro. I prefer a regularly updated distro like Ubuntu or Fedora.

#10 Guest_mcmaur_*

Guest_mcmaur_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Linux after the a big update is ok. Sometimes even if is very rarely windows show a clock watchdog timeout error. When I installed photoshop it comes an alert showing that: 

"Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer's website for the latest software.

GPU enhancements can be enabled in the Performance panel of Preferences."

But steam tell that the GPU's driver are up to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users