Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bradfrank

Bradfrank

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

I get an error titles SVChost.exe error. This happens every time I start my computer and it occurs multiple times upon start up - about 10. Once I get into a session, it typically stops. It's very annoying. I ran a virus check and there were no issues. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

svchost is an 'envelope' that contains several small programs or 'services'. Sometimes malicious software installs itself as a service and then runs from one of these envelopes. It is difficult to see what is running inside of these envelopes.

You could try a system restore to restore your settings back to the way they were before. More info on this can be found HERE. This would cure a registry error.

You don't mention any other symptoms of an infection, but let's check anyway. I know you have run one scan and it came up clean, but no one program can catch everything. And a virus scan will not catch adware, spyware, etc.

I would recommend following the Preparation Guide to posting a High Jack This log. You may not need to actually post a log, however. If you follow the instuctions in the Prepatory Guide faithfully then this little bugger ought to be removed. However, rarely is a computer infected with only one thing.

If after completing all of the steps in the Preparation Guide you continue to have issues, post a HJT log as instructed in the Preparation Guide.

PREPARATION GUIDE

At least this will prove that the computer is clean and then we can look elsewhere for the cause. If there is more to the story, such as other symptoms etc, let us know. Document any error messages you get and post them here word for word.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 22 April 2006 - 12:22 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

I went to the Microsoft Knowledge Baser and did a search for svchost error. The following is the result for the search

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?m...q=svchost+error

If you have to search for anything else just use the search box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users