Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Long Time Between Drinks....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

Operating System
windows XP SP3. Media Centre Edition.
Firewall
windows
Computer
HP Pavillion M7595a
CPU
Intel Core 2 DuoE6400 @2.13GHz Conroe 65nm Technology
Motherboard
ASUSTek Comp inc.Basswood
Ram
4.0GB DDR2
Storage
293 GB Seagate...SATA
Video Card...
512mb GeForce7600 GS
Soundcard
Realtek
Power Supply
No idea....

I bought this in 2006.

It has served me well

$ are coming my way

Time to buy a beer  new PC  (desktop)

I spend an inordinate amount of time researching.....BC every day......sqintillions of music... plays all day.......Am going to send movies from my PC to TV (graphics card?)......i took a ride in a Windows 8 machine recently....omg that was quick !......and YES...I do want to go a little over the top !

Short Story.....I have repaired and sold small engine equipment for the past forty five years....I have made it a Habit.....to ALWAYS sell people something bigger than they actually need (within reason...common sense still plays the mandatory part)....The vast majority of people have indeed thanked me for this approach......instead of working the guts out of a smaller machine, what i have sold them has "cruised" through the work......and has therefore been a pleasure to use and has lasted well beyond the lifespan of a cheaper/smaller machine

I would like to apply a similar mindset here

I am not looking for a 'branded ' machine

I want processing power to burn.......when i click a link in  an email from BC ....like......

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503681/conduitcom-removal/?view=getnewpost

I want it to 'be there' quicker than i can blink...(you get my drift I am sure )

I would ideally like a "shopping list"......specifics.

Just thought i would throw this into the middle of the heap....

Regards,

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

Hi,

I would definitely recommend a SSD as hard drive if you want to cruise. Those things are awesome.

If you're planning on keeping parts as long as you have last time, I would look for a motherboard that can take 16GB of RAM or more.  If the past is any indication, OS and apps will be using more and more RAM.  I would also probably recommend going with 8GB of RAM directly, at least no less than 4GB. It's quite cheap and you won't need to upgrade for a while.

Other than that, most current machines will probably be soaring if you just use it for surfing.

If you continue using your old monitor make sure that they have a connector in common (or prepare to buy an adapter or a new monitor).

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

So many parameters come into the playing fiield. First things first, you are going to decide about your chassis and power supply. Your chassis should be custom and easy on the eyes and have plenty of options for heat reduction . there are so many differences and sizes..   Your power supply should have plenty of room for expansions on down the road and at least in the 750 watt range as well as ample volt/amp capacity for expandability and should have ample cable length should you decide on a full-size tower case so that its connectors can reach your individual components... Then your Motherboard and processor. There are so many choices  but i would definitely go with an i-7 processor and then the best motherboard and RAM  to compliment that i-7 .Then the good news, the Home theater graphics cards are relatively low-budget and most are perfectly capable of delivering your PC signal to your TV. But at the same time , you don't want your home theater graphics card bottlenecking the pipeline either.  Also keep in mind that sometimes heat and noise reduction is more important than sheer horsepower.so there has to be consideration for that when you are planning for your GPU...you know , that "happy medium" .   I think mostly  from what i read is you want to avoid "bottlenecks" in other words, one component can't be hanging up traffick coming down the pipe from another.. Of course i am sure your net connection is blazing fast. If not, that could be a bottleneck.. Then the multimedia card (that is more homework)

after that you are home free, just the windows 7 or 8 64 bit on an ample size SSD (240 gb?), storage HDD , optical drives  and any other peripherals. Step by step, and remember, your PC should be a concert of individual components, not a solo performance of a few separate ones stealing the spotlight for themselves individually.

Edited by synergy513, 14 August 2013 - 09:03 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hi, CondoBloke

For this computer I'm on right now went totally different from my usual practice.

For a desktop computer I've been building my own and family members computers for years. Going back to the Turbo 8088 powered DOS computer that was my first MS-DOS system. I did buy one Dell Q6600 PC years back as it was so much cheaper than I could build one at the time.

However when I decided to put  computer in this little corner I went out and bought an All-In-One for the following reasons

1. Size is the same as a 22" monitor.

2. Complete and ready to go.

3. Quiet.

4. Almost no wires, One for the AC, Internet is wireless, Keyboard and Mouse Wireless. It doesn't get much neater than that. I have since run a Crossover cable from it to a 2Tb NAS with Mirrored drives for backup adding another AC and a Ethernet cable to the mix.

5. Low power usage, It only has a 120watt AC adapter.

The low power usage is due to these All-In-Ones using what is more or less a Laptop type motherboard and CPU. Even the DVD drive is a Laptop type.

The Brand I bought has an Authorized Service Provider 12 Miles away if it needs warranty work. Plus they put their service manuals online for everybody unlike some brands.

I have my I7 powered computer in another room for when I need the Power.

Note: When I turned it on the other day to process some Video I found that it had been 10 days since it was last used. This one does everything I need except video processing.

I never had any use for the AIO computers until I had a need for small & quiet with a small footprint.

As a different suggestion, Is the Computer You have fast enough as far as CPU goes?

You could speed up the Boot times significantly by switching to a SSD Boot Drive, Samsung or Intel come to mind. The SSD will speed up Boot Times and application load times. Then switch to Windows 8 and get more boot speed over Windows 7. I add Classic Shell from our Windows 8 Tutorials to this Windows 8 and it is very close to Windows 7 in operation.

Alternatively get the latest I7 since they have lower power requirements, Water cooling, looking for low noise. And build Your own.

That is my next Project, Getting the Newest I7 and building a new Video Processing computer to speed up the rendering and authoring of BluRay Movies from my HD video Captures.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Well...thank you folks....you have all certainly given me something to think about......i will ponder many points here for some time.....SSD is almost a given.....I share Rotor's penchant for Samsung....., i found myself nodding to Synergy's comment about chassis's and power supplies,( I am especially into easy on the eyes and having plenty of options for heat reduction !!....VERY important in the blistering heat of the Aussie Outback)   Both synergy's and rotor's i7 nod blends with what I have read elsewhere...and myrti's comments re Ram are filled with foresight, wisdom and common sense.

I am very mindful of Synergy's all but final comment......."" remember, your PC should be a concert of individual components, not a solo performance of a few separate ones stealing the spotlight for themselves individually.""

Being a lover of music...I aim for legato, wherever possible.

Thank you for the efforts you have all expended here.

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users