Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP mode runs slow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a sony vaio laptop with the following config:

Ram: 6 GB
HDD: 650 GB
Processor: i7-2640M @ 2.8 GHZ

HDD RPM: 5400

I have installed Windows XP using Microsoft Virtual PC. I run three programs in XP Mode and a couple of programs in Windows 7. I have allotted 1.5 GB Ram to XP mode.

In the xp mode the performance is very slow. At times even opening my computer and navigating to a folder takes a while.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up? Can I overclock my laptop also?

Please advice.

Thank you,

Cheers,
GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

I have installed Windows XP using Microsoft Virtual PC.

Are running XP Mode?  Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

I don't know of a single oem BIOS which hasn't be set so that overclocking isn't an option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

I experimented with a VM once, the VMWare free version not the Microsoft one, because I had some old software I was having real problems getting to run on a 64 bit Win 7 machine. For what it's worth, the results were patchy. Some software ran extremely well, including some truly elderly 16 bit CAD software dating back to the days of Win 3.x, other applications - especially simulators - ran extremely slowly. It seems to be the nature of the beast.

Anyway, I abandoned the VM experiment because I managed to get most of the older software to run under Win 7, and I keep an old laptop mainly because it runs the 16 bit software. The laptop may be slow, but it's still at least as fast as the 386s and 486s this software was designed to run on !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

VMWare is much more stable and quicker than Microsoft Virtual PC. I run all of my virtual machines from it without a hitch, sometimes I have 3 open at the same time. I assign 2gb ram to all Win OS's.

XP mode is an option that you may wish to consider though depending on the applications you need to run... Good link Arachi.

#5 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. The programs that I want to run are not old. They use the .net framework. But since I need to run multiple copies of them I am using XP mode as an option. Should I try virtual box ? Its free and I read its fast.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

I seriously recommend VMWare. It's the most stable IME.... also free.

#7 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I thought VMware was not free so I installed VirtualBox. It is working fine. I installed Win XP as guest os and my Win 7 is host os. The guest os can see host os folders but is vice versa possible.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

In VMWare you have to set up particular shared folders... Guess it's the same with VirtualBox.

One of those read the manual moments.

#9 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

Thanks, the whole setup is working fine now.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Do have SP1 on this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users