Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Is Slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chefbrad

chefbrad

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:01 AM

Hi, I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while. I've posted to the HJT forum and they say I'm clean from malware. I'm using XP sp2. I have a dsl modem which is suppose to download 3mbps.

My problem is when I go to a website it seems to take forever to download; however, once I'm there whatever I want to do works ok i.e. download video etc.

I use ad-aware, spybot, grisoft anti-virus, microsoft anti spywear beta, and I have a sygate personal firewall.

Thank you, Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowee

cowee

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

I would check your network settings: Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings.

Check to see if the Automatically detect network settings is checked. If so, your browser may be attempting to download a proxy script from your LAN. This could result in the delay you are seeing.

#3 chefbrad

chefbrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the LAN settings, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

Hello,

Sometimes with DSL modems, they just need to be unpluged for about a minute, and plugged back in. I have had DSL from a few different providers, and they all ask for this to be done first thing.

Look at your documentation before unpluggging DSL while your PC is running, they may recommend you do so when your PC is powered off.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

The speed issue could also be to do with IE itself. Although my solution will not fully fix the IE issue, what i recommend you do right now is download the Firefox Web Browser from mozilla, you can find it here from its official site:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

It looks a little different,works in the same way as IE, but is not prone to the attacks and web page high jacking that IE is. Just using it can help save you from masses of malware and spyware that IE lets into you PC. Highjackers can access IE easily,Firefox is not as much so to manipulate. I only ever recommend using IE for Windows updates as they cant be downloaded using any other browser than IE, the same goes for checking Hotmail accounts, anything really that Microsoft control.

I think you maybe running slow because IE may possibly be High jacked,just not going onto a High jacked page. Try going up to TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>GENERAL TAB and once there, delete all cookies by clicking on the button,if you have a lot of cookies in there,then that will be one reason that you're running slow.Also while there, select delete files,which is right next to the previous option,once clicked it will produce another box where you are able to tick "Delete all offline content" make sure you tick this,it wont be at first,then ok it. The delete may take a min or two if you have alot in there,but thats ok. Try it after and see if thats helped at all.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users