Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplained, sudden slowdowns/cutting out from 3600HGV

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 gmreplay

gmreplay

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

Around 9:30PM tonight my internet started to act up. First it seemed like the DSL coming into the house was having trouble, but now I am having trouble even running video over my LAN (from my desktop to my phone). My ping on places like speedtest.net is usually 30-50, and my download speed is in the 12MBPS range. Right now I'm getting 150+ ping and about 1.5mbps down on my laptop, desktop (that is hardwired to the modem), and my phone. Rebooted the 3600HGV U-Verse modem, checked every cable's connection to it, but I am still having these issues. I am stumped. I can't think of anything that would be giving me intermittent, slow service not just for the internet but even for my LAN. Thoughts? The only thing that has changed is that today the cord got knocked out of the socket for a few seconds, turning the modem off, but this was mid-day and everything was fine until the late evening, so I suspect that isn't the issue. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Do you have a router in the middle? If you do, have you tried to power cycle the router to see if that will help? Also if you have a router, try running your connection straight from the dsl modem and see if that helps. If it does, then we have an issue with your router.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 gmreplay

gmreplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

It's a router/modem combined. I power cycled the 3600HGV multiple times, but nothing. Around 1:30AM I tried it once more, and things seemed to come back to life after that. I'm still perplexed as to what could cause an inconsistent connection to the internet and LAN computers, though. 

#4 gmreplay

gmreplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

As if by magic, the problems returned again tonight around midnight. Currently fluctuating between 0.5mbps and 5mpbs. I cannot fathom what the cause could be. Perhaps most curiously, my wired LAN computer is now running at 10mpbs while my phone is only getting 0.5mpbs at best. 

Edited by gmreplay, 14 August 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Sounds like if your phone is getting the slowdown and it's running wirelessly then you may have a defect in your router. You may want to see if you can get it swapped out for a new one just to see if that will help fix this.

#6 gmreplay

gmreplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

It's definitely seeming that way. My Apple laptop is also getting an inconsistent and extremely slow connection. It's just curious to me that when the problem first started I was getting a slow connection even on my hardwired main PC. 

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

It's definitely seeming that way. My Apple laptop is also getting an inconsistent and extremely slow connection. It's just curious to me that when the problem first started I was getting a slow connection even on my hardwired main PC. 

That can still indicate a faulty combo modem/router. That's one of the disadvantages of having combo units, if 1 unit gets defective more than likely it will defect the entire device. Then again you are using AT&T... :hysterical: :)

There's a possibility that AT&T cannot handle the network load that may cause the internet speed to slow down during these times, also there servers/routers might not be able to support the network load either.

Here is a link that talks about your issue.

Edited by chrisd87, 15 August 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#8 gmreplay

gmreplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

If it was AT&T I would expect that my LAN connections would still be perfectly fast, right? Also this problem just sprung up out of nowhere, and seems to happen around midnight, which is not to my knowledge peak internet usage hours.

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

If it was AT&T I would expect that my LAN connections would still be perfectly fast, right? Also this problem just sprung up out of nowhere, and seems to happen around midnight, which is not to my knowledge peak internet usage hours.

Not necessarily. I would call AT&T and see if its on your end or theirs. Also have them switch you to another router to see if that will fix your issue. If it's at a certain time of the day, then it's not on your end in my opinion, as if it was it would be affected all the time and just not at a certain time. Like I mentioned earlier, have them bring you out another modem/router to see if that will help resolve this issue. I doubt it will as it seems to work fine until midnight as you stated.

Edited by chrisd87, 15 August 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#10 gmreplay

gmreplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I am on the phone with them now. They suspect it is on my end and are sending me a new router/modem. The problems started after the 3600HGV was briefly unplugged by some construction workers I had in the house, so I suspect it may have fried itself partially in the course of being power cycled. 

To your knowledge would it be possible for an issue on the ISP's end to slow down my local area network? I can't see how they have anything to do with that. 

#11 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

When you refer to LAN, are you talking about 2 computers hooked up directly to each other and not hooked up to your router? Or are you referring to LAN as just your local computer that's hooked up to your router? Sorry just want to make sure I give you the correct advise.

#12 gmreplay

gmreplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

One computer is hardwired to the router. The other device, a phone, is wirelessly connected to the router. The hardwired computer is being used to host video files which are played on the phone. I should be able to do this at full speed even if AT&T poofs out of existence, no? 

#13 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

The phone is still using your wireless on your router thus still having to use your AT&T U-Verse connection which if faulty will still cause interruptions with your connection from your PC to your phone. Now if you was transferring files from 1 pc to another pc on the same lan without a wan connection, and it was acting up, then that would be a different situation.

#14 gmreplay

gmreplay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

You mean two hardwired computers? I might just be ignorant, but I don't see why the router's LAN should be affected by the WAN connection. 

#15 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

The LAN won't be affected by your WAN if you have 2 hard-wired computers connected, but as you stated you are using your PC to stream video files to your phone which requires the WAN connection to do. You don't sound ignorant, and ask any questions that you may have. If I can't help you, I'm sure someone will hop in here and help out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users