Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Pro stuck at Apple boot screen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 djldevin

djldevin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

My 2011 Macbook Pro won't get past the Apple loading screen with the spinning. I've tried restting the PRAM & SMC and still have the problem. When I try to boot the install disc nothing happens, and when I try selecting it using the option key, it just freezes. Also when I try to use Lion recovery, it freezes as well. I know it's not the harddrive, because my windows partition works perfectly and still experienced the problem when I swapped the harddrive out with another one. The one thing I haven't tried is hooking it up to my other mac via Firewire through Target disk mode. The problem is I can't access Target disk mode. When I hold down T at startup to get it running, nothing happens and it just goes to the apple loading screen again. Any other suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode or Single User Mode or Verbose Mode?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1492

Try Safe Mode first.

#3 djldevin

djldevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've tried those as well with no luck...

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

Do you have an external Firewire or USB drive that you could try booting from (this assumes you have the Mac OS on it or could install the Mac OS on it)?

The other thing to try would be a bootable TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior optical disc...or you could create a TechTool Pro eDrive on the other Mac to try.

If you cannot get Target Disk Mode to work, since you said you have swapped drives, that means you have pulled out the drive. If so, you could pull the drive an connect it to the other Mac using a Universal Drive Adapter: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/ (this is one example...you can find other option on NewEgg or Amazon...some for cheaper).

Beyond that, the only suggestion that I have left to suggest would be to make an appointment at an Apple Store and take it in for them to evaluate. It is strange that nothing works EXCEPT the Windows partition.

#5 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Have you tried using command-r and starting to get to the recovery partition.

There you can do several things.

I would first run disk utility and "repair disk" and then "repair permissions."

Then I would quit from disk utility and select Terminal from the top menu.

In terminal, type:  resetpassword

That will bring up the reset password utility, but you don't want to reset the password.  Select your macintosh hd, then choose your account (I assume it has administrative privileges.)

Now skip the password area and click reset ACLs.

After than quit form reset password utility, logout and quit from Terminal.  Then quit from the recovery partition and select restart.

If that does not work, boot once again to the recovery partition and reinstall your operating system.  It will not change any of your files, applications, or settings.

If all else fails, call Applecare 1-800-MYAPPLE and pay the $19 for a technical support case which can last up to one month until it is solved.  They offer great support.

By the way, when you finally get it fixed, create a Recovery Assistant flash drive as per the instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

This will allow you to boot to recovery tools from this USB drive.  You just plug in the flash drive (8GB is enough), hold down the option key and you will be able to access all the recovery tools that are identical with the tools on the recovery partition.

Edited by tgdetjen, 14 August 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Have you tried using command-r and starting to get to the recovery partition.

I am assuming yes based upon this from the original post:

Also when I try to use Lion recovery, it freezes as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users