Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Optical Drive not working, need help with a solution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Eckersley

Eckersley

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

My laptop's optical drive has ceased to work recently. Fortunately, I have an internal desktop SATA drive lying around. What is the best/cheapest way to connect it to my laptop? I'm thinking of buying a USB to SATA adapter (which also comes with a power supply) and use that to connect the drive. I found one here: http://goo.gl/ObLBfU

and it seems like it's only compatible with 2.5"/3.5" HDD, but I don't see why it shouldn't work with a 5.25" Optical Drive (since the connections are the same). Will it work? if not, what is the best solution?

Edited by Eckersley, 13 August 2013 - 10:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JimmieBriggs

JimmieBriggs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

Eckersley, that USB to SATA/IDE adapter will work for connecting a SATA Optical drive to a computer via USB. I have 3-5 of those identical USB to SATA adapters at work laying around and they work beautifully. Everything in that USB connector and power supply is pretty much what would you find in an external DVD-RW drive, just in a different layout.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users