Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing New Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve E

Steve E

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:32 AM

How do I install and new board and CPU and still keep my hard drive in tact? I am pretty sure that after I install the new board XP will not boot properly until I install the MB drivers etc. How can I install the drivers on a system that will not boot? In the past I have always included a new drive for my upgrades so this has never been a problem.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

Steve:

smart move !! ask before you do :thumbsup:

here is what you want (and you are right on cue !!!!)

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

Since your system will not boot, the Sysprep angle is not an option.

You will have to do a repair install of XP when installing. Otherwise, you could hose your drive. If you have not backed everything up, this could be a hairy experience. Is it Windows that's keeping it from booting up, or hardware? If it's bad hardware, can you move the drive to another computer as a slave and copy the data to another drive, or burn it to CD's?

Good instructions for doing a motherboard replacement/reinstall here.\

It would help to read and thoroughly understand the procedure before you begin.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

You are absolutely right - chances are very good the new mobo won't let the system boot because too many basic drivers are wrong for the new board.

You can do this in a straight-forward way, but you need an XP installation disc and its registration code. This is how it works: You will do a "repair install" of the OS. After installing the new mobo you leave the XP disc in the master optical drive and let the system boot from that. It will load a bunch of drivers for a minute or 2 and then show the nonsense leagalese screen requiring you to press F8 to continue - do so. It will present you with 3 options for installing XP, one of which will be to press 'R' to perform a repair install. This is what you want. This makes XP look at all the hardware devices present and selects the proper basic drivers for those hardware components.

After 2 reboots XP will start up normally. When you log in you will need to install the motherboard drivers that came with the new board. You may have to install SP2, too (but I don't think so). Windows will nag you to reregister XP again, but this is no big deal once your LAN interface has its driver loaded.

The beauty of the repair install process is that it leaves all your files and programs intact. so you can just continue where you left off with the old motherboard. The process is really pretty easy but most people don't even know about it.

#5 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I think I can handle it now.

Steve

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:01 PM

One more thing - you may have to call Microsoft to get the thing re-activated. It's usually a robot that gives you a new code to enter. (Write it down!)

#7 ConserVet

ConserVet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

You are absolutely right - chances are very good the new mobo won't let the system boot because too many basic drivers are wrong for the new board.

You can do this in a straight-forward way, but you need an XP installation disc and its registration code. This is how it works: You will do a "repair install" of the OS. After installing the new mobo you leave the XP disc in the master optical drive and let the system boot from that. It will load a bunch of drivers for a minute or 2 and then show the nonsense leagalese screen requiring you to press F8 to continue - do so. It will present you with 3 options for installing XP, one of which will be to press 'R' to perform a repair install. This is what you want. This makes XP look at all the hardware devices present and selects the proper basic drivers for those hardware components.

After 2 reboots XP will start up normally. When you log in you will need to install the motherboard drivers that came with the new board. You may have to install SP2, too (but I don't think so). Windows will nag you to reregister XP again, but this is no big deal once your LAN interface has its driver loaded.

The beauty of the repair install process is that it leaves all your files and programs intact. so you can just continue where you left off with the old motherboard. The process is really pretty easy but most people don't even know about it.

Can this be done with a unit that was upgraded from Win98 to XP? I still have the original Dell/Microsoft install disks as well as my upgrade disk. Is it more feasible to do a repair install with the Win98 disk by itself, then upgrade the "new" system to XP after all drivers and updates have been loaded?

Of course I would use a mobo/CPU combo that's Win98 compatible if that's an issue. I'd like to keep my hard drive data intact if at all possible because this was our family computer for the last six years and has all our photos, documents, and other baggage. It desperately needs a CPU/mobo upgrade because the old Dell mobo is maxed out and can't do any more. Thanks for all advice good, bad, or indifferent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users