Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download Linux...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GeekWolf

GeekWolf

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

I have a Windows 7 PC and I don't know if it will replace the Windows 7 and/or my files if I download Linux. Can someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Not if you just download it. To install it you would either burn it to a disk, or make a bootable USB flash drive.

Getting Started With Linux: How To Install Linux On Your Computer
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yes. I use Windows 7 and Linux Mint Dual Boot. I remember it asking me if I want to Import Files from Windows when I installed it. I never did though, since I wanted a Half/Half Dual Boot. Windows 7 AND Linux Mint15 on One Computer.  If you install Mint over Windows entirely, it Will Delete everything. Best thing is to save your files to a USB drive or make a DVD of them for Backup.  Linux Mint Install is a very easy one. It gives you a Slider to select how much space you want for Each Operating System. Mine is Half for each, or close to it.  http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

I like Mint better than Ubuntu now.  http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Edited by johnnydollar, 13 August 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#4 GeekWolf

GeekWolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Thanks, but how do you get it half and half? When you turn your computer on, do you pick whether to use Windows or Mint?

#5 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Yes. But LINUX will Take over your BOOT Menu. When you turn the Computer ON? it will show a Linux GRUB Menu board with 

Linux MINT 15 

Windows 7 Loader 

You can scroll down and Choose one to use. BUT, if you decide you don't like Linux? want only Windows?, go back into Windows and take back the Boot Manager Window by typing in the black Command Prompt window- type in    bootrec.exe/fixmbr

THAT will allow Windows ONLY to Boot and takes it away from Linux. You can then delete Linux in the Windows 7 Disc Manager area, all the Disc space will be available for Windows again. 

#6 GeekWolf

GeekWolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the help guys! But how do I burn it to a disk or make a bootable USB drive? I've put files on flash drives before, but I don't get the bootable thing.

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys! But how do I burn it to a disk or make a bootable USB drive? I've put files on flash drives before, but I don't get the bootable thing.

Very easy. Get yourself a program called Imgburn and install it.

There is no need for me to re-invent the wheel, so I'll let these folks explain the rest:

How to write an image file to a disc using ImgBurn

ETA: If I were you I would use a blank DVD-R disc. A lot of newer Linux distros don't fit on a CD anymore. And avoid any sort of re-writable disc if you can.

Edited by Bezukhov, 18 August 2013 - 05:52 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users