Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite L675D laptop Keyboard keys not working -- z, Fn, /?, arrows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Eric Easterly

Eric Easterly

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Hi, I am running Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite L675D laptop

and a couple days ago certain keys just stopped working, I didn't spill on them or anything like that, my arrows were being kinda intermittent then they just didn't work, same with my z, Fn, and /? buttons (typed with on-screen keyboard) all other keys seem to work fine

I tried cleaning them with canned air and checked in the BIOS to be sure it wasn't a windows thing, I also tried a fully cold restart, removed battery and pushed power button for 60 seconds then put it back in and turned it on, but nothing has worked.

I'm really hoping I don't have to pull the keyboard out but I figured I would give an ask on here to see if anyone had a suggestion as I have seen quite a number of other people with a similar problem, many times with the exact same keys.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JimmieBriggs

JimmieBriggs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hello Eric,

From my years of experience dealing with Desktops and Laptops, if random keys are not working,it can be a variety of problems, one being the most common, is the ribbon cable to loosen up inside of the computer, pulling the keyboard out and re-seating the ribbon cable is the most simple thing to try to diagnose the problem. The second problem is the keyboard is just faulty and is slowly failing, which you can replace it with a brand new keyboard for $20-$30 by finding a brand new one on eBay or Amazon by typing in the Part Number off the bottom of the keyboard on the white sticker. Third and most unlikely is the keyboard controller built into the motherboard is failing, which I very rarely see happens.

I hope this helps you out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users