Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Blocking All Downloads

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle_Nasty

Uncle_Nasty

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

So just out of the blue, I am no longer able to download files of any kind from any browser on windows 7.  I tried playing around with the firewall settings and even turning it off, but still no luck.  Set the settings back to default already.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance :bananas:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hi,

Hardware chain from the screen to the wall? All connected and green? Any yellow triangles in Device Manager or red 'X's? Reboot give any error messages?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

I am assuming that webpages still properly load. Is that a correct assumption? Since loading a page essential involved download some HTML and image files, that means it is not likely some "global" issue with your Internet connection. This could be confirmed if you have another computer and the computer works fine (including downloading files).

Any thing odd happen recently that kind of stands out? Any updates that you installed recently? What security software are you running?

The leading suspicions in my head would be either a corrupted OS file (since it affects all browsers) or some sort of infection. Thus, you may want consider posting in the "Am I Infected?" forum.

#4 Uncle_Nasty

Uncle_Nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

All is green and connected.  No yellow triangles or error messages.  I can surf the web and everything just fine except for downloading files.  I can download images and word documents, but that's about it.  I recently did a full scan with eset, mbam, and superantispyware.  Also checked for any suspicious items with tdss killer and those have done pretty good for me.  Nothing out of the ordinary so far.   I do have Microsoft Security Essentials that has been updated recently

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

All is green and connected.  No yellow triangles or error messages.  I can surf the web and everything just fine except for downloading files.  I can download images and word documents, but that's about it.  I recently did a full scan with eset, mbam, and superantispyware.  Also checked for any suspicious items with tdss killer and those have done pretty good for me.  Nothing out of the ordinary so far.   I do have Microsoft Security Essentials that has been updated recently

Do you have another computer that you can try downloading on? I suppose it might be possible that for some reason your ISP is limiting your download size (don't ask me why). If that is the case, another computer using your Internet connection would have the same problems.

#6 Uncle_Nasty

Uncle_Nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

I am able to download larger files from a laptop using the same Internet connection

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

OK, that suggests it is limited to the one computer.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking and trying downloads there?

#8 Uncle_Nasty

Uncle_Nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

No luck with that either :-/

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Well, then that does tend to reinforce the idea that it may be some sort of OS corruption or some sort of infection (that your current software is not detecting).

At this point, my only suggestions are:

1) Post to the "Am I Infected?" forum and see if they can find anything.
2) Reinstall or maybe Repair Windows.

It is possible someone else will have a better suggestion. Or maybe something will fall on my head while I am doing work around the house and "knock" a brilliant idea into my head!  :bananas:

Edited by smax013, 14 August 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#10 hoseini

hoseini

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

I had recently the same problem and I could solve it. Go to your list of programs and look for"internet download manager", i.e " IDM " and completely uninstall it. then install another"internet download manager",(not  the same software) I did it from a CD I had from two years before. I am not sure that will solve your problem but it does not hurt to try.

Hoseini

#11 Uncle_Nasty

Uncle_Nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Not seeing an Internet Download Manager anywhere under programs or on this computer in general

#12 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Is it possible to do a system restore back to a date prior to this event happening?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#13 Uncle_Nasty

Uncle_Nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Not really sure.  I'd like to leave that as a last resort if possible

#14 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

Is there any message which comes up whilst downloading?

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#15 Uncle_Nasty

Uncle_Nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

Fixed it.  Internet security settings.  Not sure how it got changed, but it now works again!  See method 2 just in case if anyone else is having this issue

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files#Reset_system_Internet_security_settings_-_Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users