Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Windows changing drive letters on external drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hi all,

Im running two external drives on my xp pro sp3,their accessed regulally for data storage,backups and running applications,and so are left plugged in.

Im wondering if their is any way to stop windows constaltly reassigning new drive letters with reboots,as

shortcuts,assosiated programs etc have all to be re setup.

(a workaround or application)?

If i go too disk management and assign my own letters the system will still change the letters again on reboot,not a huge hassle,but would be nice if it could be stopped,a net  search hassnt turned up

any solutions so far.

Any thoughts on this appreciated

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

In my experience...the only time that assigned drive letters change....occurs when a dual-boot is involved or new hardware is added or old hardware is subtracted.

So I don't understand you when you say that the drive letters assigned change.,,I suppose that malware might result in such.

Any indication of malware or other system problems?

Louis

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hi,

no malware i can see with scanners or system problems,havnt set up system to dual boot yet so maybe ill just wait and see,i did do a couple of installs recently and the drive letters havnt changed today.

I suppose i wasnt expecting them to change after i assigned then in the drive manager

thanks anyway

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

:thumbsup2: .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users