Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSO Exploit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:19 PM

I read the pinned topic. But it goes back a long time.
I use XP SP2, all updates are up to date including Spybot. Spybot sees 5 registry entries day after day. Always the same.Is DSO Exploit a problem? Is it a false positive result of Spybot?

Related question: when Spybot removes trash, or attempts to do so, it creates a save point. Should I really be doing it everyday, the savepoint I mean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 05:48 PM

I use XP SP2, all updates

So do I.

Is it a false positive result of Spybot?

In a manner of speaking, yes... it is a false positive. Which means: no, it isn't, sorta...

I've checked on this off n' on at the official spybot support forum. IMO, this is the result of Spybot's definition rules/how it reads the OS. I've been told it is not a major issue, and that means that probably fixin' it would compromise more important methods of detection. That is, whatever finds this "problem" if it were modified, it might not find similar problems that would be more "major" and as it is presently, some OS configuration points it out more than it being a problem of itself.

(BS?). I don't know... I routinely open the "settings tab" (button) in the advanced mode I always use. Then I open "Ignore Products" which shows the "all" tab by default. (I routinely check that list to see if any products are either auto-excluded or on reboot some changes have occurred.). Since this is called a "security issue" next click that tab.
Presently 2 entries exist, 1 is the DSO Exploit. Checkmark the box and exit that window. Now DSO will not appear, but everything else will, if you "have it". You will get the "Congratulations you are clean" line at the end of the scan. In the same "settings" window, if you do not use the "file sets tab" and include "usage tracks & usage.uti" you will get the "all clean", that is.. If you include "usage tracks as part of your scan INCLUDES, each time you scan, all the usage tracks that Windows stores for "you" will show up...recent docs, WMP recent plays, IE URL sites visited, etc. Cleaning them when you scan will give you an empty "Recent Documents" and a fresh start menu ( except those you "pin-to-start-menu...the ones XP "learns you use frequently") but I (or more) Log Report will not be "cleanable without automatically having spybot run another scan at next reboot". I usually let it clean the couple dozen others and accept the loner file as it is because it is unaccessible while the OS is operating. Each time you reboot after scan, a system restore point will be set. See next:

If you have System Restore enabled Spybot will use that feature. It is safe.
If you don't have System Restore enabled ... maybe because you want to save HD space, or to avoid some little annoyances or more when swappin' multi HD's physically (which system restore can mess up if you unplug a drive it thinks it needs to monitor & plug in another that it don't KNOW) the spybot syill has the "Recovery feature" but I think it saves only your latest scan information if it doesn't have system restore to utilize. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:52 PM

Check this out:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4392.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users