Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 14 Issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron N7110 which I formatted to Linux Mint 14 a few months ago. I have since decided to go back to Windows on this system. I attempted using both USB and DVD installation methods and neither have been working; The USB install fails due to the system not recognizing my USB drive while the DVD install just fails upon boot with an error "Could not find OS" and boots back into Mint. I don't know what else to do. I really need this fixed. My warrantee with dell is expired and can't afford to renew it. You guys are my last hope, can you guys help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

I learned how to do this after the same things happened.  I've been using Mint/Windows Dual boot OR  Mint/Ubuntu by itself on different occasions  YOU have to Format your Hard Drive to accept the Correct system. Windows 7 is NTFS and XP is FAT 32 if I remember? What I did to avoid problems in the future was use Linux MINT to download "K3B -a .iso burner" listed in your Software Manager to make a LIVE DVD of "G-PARTED" You can download the .iso for Gparted live Disc here --- http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

This way, you can use GParted to Format your Hard Drive as it's in the DVD tray *boot from Tray. It's like Being Outside of your Computer looking IN and then you can Format the Whole Disc to the correct system needed. It Should Accept Windows Then.  The reason I burned a GPARTED LIVED disc, is you can't really format the Disc when you're using Linux itself with the normal GPARTED program available in Linux MINT from the Software Manager.   To do all this? just boot from your DVD tray, On DELL I don't know what it is to get into your Boot line up? F11, F12? or Escape button? usually it shows you when you first boot up at the bottom of the screen real fast. Just use the arrow keys to select Boot from DVD and it should start up the GPARTED live disc after you make one* It's kind of Sllllllowww but eventually comes on. It's pretty easy to do. Just right click and format or use the Menus. You Should be able to Load Windows ON after that. Good Luck. I liked Linux Mint14 and 15 had some glitches, but those stopped after I used "sudo apt-get update" and everything got better. 

So 1. Download K3b in Linux Mint 14

2. Download Gparted .iso from link above

3. Use K3b to make a Live Gparted DVD *automatic default level will be fine

4. Boot from GParted DVD in tray and Format the Computer to proper system NTFS or FAT 32

5. Close out GParted after format *takes a while to shut down

6. Try and Install Windows again. It should accept your attempt this time. 

Edited by johnnydollar, 13 August 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

I learned how to do this after the same things happened.  I've been using Mint/Windows Dual boot OR  Mint/Ubuntu by itself on different occasions  YOU have to Format your Hard Drive to accept the Correct system. Windows 7 is NTFS and XP is FAT 32 if I remember? What I did to avoid problems in the future was use Linux MINT to download "K3B -a .iso burner" listed in your Software Manager to make a LIVE DVD of "G-PARTED" You can download the .iso for Gparted live Disc here --- http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

This way, you can use GParted to Format your Hard Drive as it's in the DVD tray *boot from Tray. It's like Being Outside of your Computer looking IN and then you can Format the Whole Disc to the correct system needed. It Should Accept Windows Then.  The reason I burned a GPARTED LIVED disc, is you can't really format the Disc when you're using Linux itself with the normal GPARTED program available in Linux MINT from the Software Manager.   To do all this? just boot from your DVD tray, On DELL I don't know what it is to get into your Boot line up? F11, F12? or Escape button? usually it shows you when you first boot up at the bottom of the screen real fast. Just use the arrow keys to select Boot from DVD and it should start up the GPARTED live disc after you make one* It's kind of Sllllllowww but eventually comes on. It's pretty easy to do. Just right click and format or use the Menus. You Should be able to Load Windows ON after that. Good Luck. I liked Linux Mint14 and 15 had some glitches, but those stopped after I used "sudo apt-get update" and everything got better. 

So 1. Download K3b in Linux Mint 14

2. Download Gparted .iso from link above

3. Use K3b to make a Live Gparted DVD *automatic default level will be fine

4. Boot from GParted DVD in tray and Format the Computer to proper system NTFS or FAT 32

5. Close out GParted after format *takes a while to shut down

6. Try and Install Windows again. It should accept your attempt this time. 

Thanks a ton! I didn't realize I would have to do all of this because I can just use a Windows disc and reformat when I had an ubuntu install. I will try it now and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again

FYI:This laptop is F2 for BIOS and F12 for boot preference for future reference.

UPDATE: I used Gparted to reformat the drive to NTFS (I'm installing Windows 7 64 bit) and attempted again to boot from my Windows disc to install and it ends up in a black screen with the error

"error: unknown filesystem
GRUB Rescue>_"

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by SmokeViper07, 13 August 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#4 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

It's been a while since I had to do it with Gparted Live DVD, but you may even be able to just DELETE Mint 14 and not format it to NTFS, Windows Install disc May start up with just a Blank Hard Drive, if Windows Install detects OPEN SPACE it should work. I've had success with that too. As long as LINUX isn't being detected by the Windows Install disc? It should go ahead and do it. Using Gparted *the program while IN Linux Mint, you can't delete what you're USING at the time if I remember. I've tried to do that. Having that GParted live DVD is of great Benefit when re-Installing, Deleting things. IF there's an even Easier way? I'm sure some Linux Person will know how and add to the comments. 

UPDATE - IT's not recognizing it eh? Unknown file system means it's still LINUX. Maybe it didn't Format Properly? I've been able to Install with Free Space there. When you say "Gparted" you mean you used the Program to do it from Within LINUX MINT while you were in it? Because that usually won't work if you try to Delete or Format something you're actually USING at the Time. It will tell you the Drive is MOUNTED and you can't do it. Using a Live Gparted DVD is better. 

Edited by johnnydollar, 13 August 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#5 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Sounds like you're better off Downloading the Gparted LIVE DVD .iso, Burning your own DVD using K3b and using that, making sure you have the correct .iso on the Gparted Download site. Because if you delete Linux, you won't be able to download anything OR Burn anything unless you do it first.  

ONE other time, I was able to Create a NEW Partition in Linux Mint with Gparted *the program. I split MINT in Half. Made sure to Reformat the New Partition to NTFS. THEN, I rebooted off the Windows Install DVD and installed it IN that open Space. Once I had the most basic Windows stuff Installed ON, I went into Windows 7 Disc Manager and simply Deleted Linux. Linux would be unable to boot anyway since Windows would take over the MBR. Boot.   The Whole Hard Drive was then available for Windows 7. 

Edited by johnnydollar, 13 August 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#6 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

It's been a while since I had to do it with Gparted Live DVD, but you may even be able to just DELETE Mint 14 and not format it to NTFS, Windows Install disc May start up with just a Blank Hard Drive, if Windows Install detects OPEN SPACE it should work. I've had success with that too. As long as LINUX isn't being detected by the Windows Install disc? It should go ahead and do it. Using Gparted *the program while IN Linux Mint, you can't delete what you're USING at the time if I remember. I've tried to do that. Having that GParted live DVD is of great Benefit when re-Installing, Deleting things. IF there's an even Easier way? I'm sure some Linux Person will know how and add to the comments. 

UPDATE - IT's not recognizing it eh? Unknown file system means it's still LINUX. Maybe it didn't Format Properly? I've been able to Install with Free Space there. When you say "Gparted" you mean you used the Program to do it from Within LINUX MINT while you were in it? Because that usually won't work if you try to Delete or Format something you're actually USING at the Time. It will tell you the Drive is MOUNTED and you can't do it. Using a Live Gparted DVD is better. 

Sounds like you're better off Downloading the Gparted LIVE DVD .iso, Burning your own DVD using K3b and using that, making sure you have the correct .iso on the Gparted Download site. Because if you delete Linux, you won't be able to download anything OR Burn anything unless you do it first.  

ONE other time, I was able to Create a NEW Partition in Linux Mint with Gparted *the program. I split MINT in Half. Made sure to Reformat the New Partition to NTFS. THEN, I rebooted off the Windows Install DVD and installed it IN that open Space. Once I had the most basic Windows stuff Installed ON, I went into Windows 7 Disc Manager and simply Deleted Linux. Linux would be unable to boot anyway since Windows would take over the MBR. Boot.   The Whole Hard Drive was then available for Windows 7. 

When I said I used Gparted I downloaded the ISO from your link and burned it to a CD using Imgburn. I booted to CD and used the "delete" option on all the partitions as they were all Linux Mint. I hit apply then I created 2 NTFS partitions for windows. I hit apply again and when I restarted and booted with my Windows Disc it showed the error I mentioned earlier.

#7 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Maybe Try Deleting Everything using the Gparted Live Disc. I know the Goal is to get a Completely blank Drive so you can install Windows. Thats the only thing I can think of at this point.  How are you typing this stuff now? with another PC? or Phone?  I've installed, Deleted and done this several Times, haven't run into that kind of Error. If a Linux Error is showing, *Grub* that meant it was still there.  I saw your Computer on the Dell Site. Looks pretty good. I hope you can get it "clean" in order to install Windows. At least you have the Windows 7 Disc, Most people don't. 

#8 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Maybe Try Deleting Everything using the Gparted Live Disc. I know the Goal is to get a Completely blank Drive so you can install Windows. Thats the only thing I can think of at this point.  How are you typing this stuff now? with another PC? or Phone?  I've installed, Deleted and done this several Times, haven't run into that kind of Error. If a Linux Error is showing, *Grub* that meant it was still there.  I saw your Computer on the Dell Site. Looks pretty good. I hope you can get it "clean" in order to install Windows. At least you have the Windows 7 Disc, Most people don't. 

I am using my desktop for typing here. I will try deleting it all again and let you know what happens. Perhaps someone else might know something else to try. Yeah I like the laptop for minor gaming and research and stuff but it's not too great for big gaming. Not to mention it's big and heavy so I try not to tote it around alot.

#9 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

OK. Yeah, I usually just Delete Everything and Windows will see Free Space instead of the Linux Grub or Linux that way. Why did you decide to Go back to Windows over Mint anyway? For the Gaming Stuff? 

#10 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yeah I will try that again. Yeah I wanted to do some light gaming on it and maybe stream it to my desktop for twitch or what not.

SOLVED: I finally got it all fixed, I was missing one step of the process. I was deleting the partitions but what fixed it was going into the device menu and hitting "Create Partition Table" which wiped all  data and allowed me to reformat using windows setup. Thanks for your help johnny

Edited by SmokeViper07, 13 August 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#11 Guest_johnnydollar_*

Guest_johnnydollar_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Ahh. Good. I like Linux More than Windows the last 4 years. I only use Windows for a Couple of Things, like Slingbox viewing and Magic Jack Phone use. Both programs/Companies SAID they'd have Exclusive LINUX support back in 2010. Yeah,... still waiting. I can use both in the Virtual Box ON Linux and not even have Windows on my Computer, but they don't work the best that way. Glad you got it going again. I like it when Stuff actually WORKS for a change. 

#12 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

Agreed, I would run pure linux if games were more developed to running on it. I definately understand the support part, I always tend to be on the phone with tech support departments. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users