Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard keys randomly do not work (and then they do!!)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 markl13

markl13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I have the dreaded intermittant issue that plagues troubleshooters everywhere. After several weeks of searching on-line and my own troubleshooting, I'm now asking for help:

Periodically certain keys stop working. They include k (both upper and lower), 7 on the number pad, Number Lock and Insert.

This issue can happen in the middle of writing a document and will continue for an indeteminite time, but usually by the next day (as long as I don't reboot) they will come back.

There is no feel difference when pressing the keys. That is, they depress fully and don't feell like they are sticking at all.

Nothing has been spilled on the keyboard. (I use a keyboard drawer and type it while it is closed.) Those keys have never been exposed to anything dropping on them.

The problem persists even if I try unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in, rebooting, or (get this) trying another keyboard. It's obviously not a hardware issue. (Which may mean I should post this elsewhere.)

I did find something somewhere that suggested it is related to an update patch, but I uninstalled that patch and it's still a problem (and I can no longer find that site).

Any other thoughts?

(Sorry for the varied font size. I'm using Paste to put in the k which then changes the size, but I can't change it back with the size button.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 markl13

markl13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Sorry. Forgot the specs:

Win 8

MS Comfort Curve keyboard 2000 v1.0

Problem started after upgrade to Win 8

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

You mentioned trying another keyboard. Did you only try that keyboard AFTER the keys stopped working? Have you tried just using that other keyboard for a period of time starting while the keys are working? If so, does it change anything?

#4 markl13

markl13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Tried it after the keys were not working. Haven't tried it when it happened again. I'll have to try that.

My keys worked fine after 5:30 pm last night and did so until about 9:30 this morning. No reboots.

There was a disconnection in service with my server. I had to close and open Outlook and then everything seeemed to work normal. Wonder if it's related to a server item.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users