Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows firewall issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Josh4256

Josh4256

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hello all,

Having searched the Internet without success I'm hoping that someone may help with this annoying problem.

I have several wireless devices within my house, an up until this morning this included my laptop.

The issue is that while the wireless icon appears and connects stating excellent signal strength, it does not seem to be allowing my computer onto the Internet. Pages are not loading and nothing is connecting despite the excellent connection. I know that it is not my Internet as all of the other devices connect. I tried linking up to one of those BT open connections and even when that is connection the computer does not seem to accept the connection. I even tried hard wiring it, but still the same.

Now I'm not very good with computers, but my feeling is that the windows firewall was blocking it. I tried to access the windows security centre but it is telling me that it cannot be opened due to an unknown error. The same with any of the security functions on the computer.

I read about loading up the run screen with CMD and putting codes in to load up the firewall settings but that did not recognise it. I also checked the settings via the administrative tools link but cannot see any mention of firewall. I've tried everything but to no avail.

I just loaded up Mcafee security that I had lying around, did a scan but no issues found. I did a system restore, deleted cookies and history but nothing seems to work.

I don't have any issue with ditching this laptop for a new one as i bought it from ebay quite cheap, however to save me the hassle of swapping files over does anybody know why my computer is doing this and any fixes.

Many thanks

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jamesedwards399

jamesedwards399

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

No you don’t need to sell out your laptop. Here is the solution, just check for computer firewall malfunctions. If you are running two different firewall software on a single computer then it can be a cause for this issue. Kindly turn off one of them. In this case the two firewalls (one windows firewall which is already present in the system and  the other one is the third party product),get conflict with each other and incorrectly block the traffic. Instead of using a different firewall you must need to use other internet security programs such as Malwarebytes, Immunet free antivirus and Spybot which provides extra security.

#3 Simply_Michael

Simply_Michael

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

yes jamesedwards399 is right, may be two firewall software is running on a single computer. don't use different firewall on same computer try unistal activity reporter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users