Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having an Argument on Internet Speed?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo770

Gizmo770

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

My dad and I am arguing about whether junk on computers will effect internet performance. What he means by junk I think is space occupied on my hard drive. I have no problems with that for now, I still have 55 GB out of 200 GB left of space, and on a monthly basis I do a check up on viruses, files I no longer use on my computer, arranging files, all that. I say otherwise, that the internet speed is, well, the internet speed. He uses www.speedtest.net to check the speed, and it says that it has a outstanding 2 Mbps+ of download speed. I don't think that's true, because whenever I download something (I'm usually right next to the router), I always get 200 Kbps. 500 Kbps if I'm lucky. Same on the computer he tests the website on. Do you guys trust speedtest.net to give good results, or is it something else probably?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

When the internet actually comes to a close, whenever that happens, just think, how will we live?

~(Myself) Gizmo770

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Too many variables unanswered to be able to tell you with any sort reliability. Wired vs wireless, hardware performance benchmarks for each machine? Time of day each speed test is run and are any other factors affecting the home network at the time tests and or downloads are run?

I wouldn't swear by speedtest but it does give a relative snapshot. I would run 3-to-5 tests in a timeframe that you do most of your activity, then average the results accordingly. That will give you a truer representation of whats going on.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Too many variables unanswered to be able to tell you with any sort reliability. Wired vs wireless, hardware performance benchmarks for each machine? Time of day each speed test is run and are any other factors affecting the home network at the time tests and or downloads are run?

I wouldn't swear by speedtest but it does give a relative snapshot. I would run 3-to-5 tests in a timeframe that you do most of your activity, then average the results accordingly. That will give you a truer representation of whats going on.

And the most important factor is that Speedtest.net is basically ONLY testing the path between your computer and the server hosting that speedtest. Different servers will tend to have different paths...and there could be different bottlenecks along different paths. This is why you might get different results from Speedtest.net when you test different Speedtest.net servers.

Then there is that fact that the server you are downloading from might be the bottleneck. In other words, the site you are downloading from might be limited to offering up download data at 200 kbps.

Think of it like driving a car. You can usually take multiple different routes in that same car from your house to a store. Each of those routes will have different speed limits along the route, different people (some of whom are idiots) driving along that route, different lights with different light cycles, etc. Thus, even though you are driving the same car capable of the same speed, the route will affect how long it takes you to get to the store. The same is true even if you take the same route each time...you might just miss making a particular light because you got stuck behind someone taking their sweet old time tootling down the road...or maybe there is an accident one time you go that route. And then even when you get to that store, how quickly you get in and out of that store is a function of how many registers they have open and how many people are shopping there (similar in nature to website's server).

The same basic concept applies to the Internet.

Edited by smax013, 14 August 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Excellent analogy smax013. Thank you for your additional input.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Another thing - units of measure:
speedtest.net has a Tools button where you change units so that that you can compare correctly :)
For instance 2 Mbps is roughly the same as 2000 Kbps and quite possible roughly the same as 200 kB/s. Watch upper vs lower case as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units

I pay for 5 Mbps down, get 4.8 Mbps = 4800 kbps = on another test so roughly 500 kB/s (with 1024 multiplier). We can't show results on the same test - unfortunately speedtest doesn't do, or I never found how.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

My dad and I am arguing about whether junk on computers will effect internet performance. What he means by junk I think is space occupied on my hard drive.

Ask him what he means by junk.
Could be spyware.
Could be virus.
Could be too many toolbars installed.
Could be too many unused applications.
Could be too many services running at startup.
Could be too many processes running continuously even though used rarely.
Could be fragmentation.
Could be RAM issues.
And so on and on ...

Edited by tos226, 14 August 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#7 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

My dad and I am arguing about whether junk on computers will effect internet performance. What he means by junk I think is space occupied on my hard drive.

Ask him what he means by junk.
Could be spyware.
Could be virus.
Could be too many toolbars installed.
Could be too many unused applications.
Could be too many services running at startup.
Could be too many processes running continuously even though used rarely.
Could be fragmentation.
Could be RAM issues.
And so on and on ...

Alright, he kinda has something about games, so he obviously (And I asked him), means games and viruses. I don't run them while running the speedtest. Literally all downloads I download whether they are through torrents or Chrome are about 200 kbps, without any internet interruptions. I see his argument as invalid because CPU has nothing to do with downloads, do they?

My dad's main argument is that "my computer, which I stated before by what he means are my games, are affecting my download speed SPECIFICALLY on my computer". He says that his internet is fast compared to my friends, when in fact, when I downloaded the same file, in the same servers, and around the general neighborhood, when he has the same service for internet, but different plans I think. He got around 1.5 Mbps.

What my question is that is his argument, marked by quotes above, invalid? I forgot my second question, I'll post again later. >.<

Edited by Gizmo770, 14 August 2013 - 10:38 PM.

When the internet actually comes to a close, whenever that happens, just think, how will we live?

~(Myself) Gizmo770

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

Alright, he kinda has something about games, so he obviously (And I asked him), means games and viruses. I don't run them while running the speedtest. Literally all downloads I download whether they are through torrents or Chrome are about 200 kbps, without any internet interruptions. I see his argument as invalid because CPU has nothing to do with downloads, do they?
My dad's main argument is that "my computer, which I stated before by what he means are my games, are affecting my download speed SPECIFICALLY on my computer". He says that his internet is fast compared to my friends, when in fact, when I downloaded the same file, in the same servers, and around the general neighborhood, when he has the same service for internet, but different plans I think. He got around 1.5 Mbps.
What my question is that is his argument, marked by quotes above, invalid? I forgot my second question, I'll post again later. >.<

The CPU can effect how quickly pages load, in particular if the page is heavy in JavaScript. For "pure" downloads of files, generally the CPU will have little effect to my knowledge...unless the CPU is busy doing other stuff. So, if you have a lot of "junk" taking up CPU cycles, then I believe in theory it could effect a "pure" download of files.

#9 Gizmo770

Gizmo770
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Another thing - units of measure:
speedtest.net has a Tools button where you change units so that that you can compare correctly :)
For instance 2 Mbps is roughly the same as 2000 Kbps and quite possible roughly the same as 200 kB/s. Watch upper vs lower case as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_rate_units

I pay for 5 Mbps down, get 4.8 Mbps = 4800 kbps = on another test so roughly 500 kB/s (with 1024 multiplier). We can't show results on the same test - unfortunately speedtest doesn't do, or I never found how.

OMG, thanks, it was set to Megabits, not megabytes and or kilobytes. I thought that the default settings were measured in megabytes due to it being abbreviated to a MB, resulting me thinking that it's Megabytes instead of Megabits, and me producing a What the f-, so I switched it to kilobytes, and it was receiving my actual download speed from most things. And now, from these testing results. Now I can definitely win this argument. Thanks TOS.

~(Myself) Gizmo770

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users