Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 1525 help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kelsyhb

kelsyhb

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi everyone. I hope this is the correct forum for my post...

Bear with me while I give some background info about my PC. I am not sure if all the information is needed or relevant to decide which course of action I should take, so I figured I'd include what I believe to be important enough for mention...

2008: I bought a Dell Inspiron 1525 in for my senior year of college. My cousin had one and I liked it so I ditched my iBook G4 and went back to PC.

Summer 2010: The laptop fell off my bed and the adapter snapped off inside the computer. Total bummer. Sent it to Chicago to be repaired. Got it back and, although it has been three years, if my memory is correct it worked fine.

Winter 2010: I was living in London and was using the computer the night before I went to Egypt for Christmas. When I came back 10 days later, I had a blue screen upon trying to start the computer. I had final papers due in a week so I hauled ass to the electronics district of London and bought an Acer Aspire netbook. A few months later, I was getting tired of the small screen and slow performance, so I dropped my Dell off at a shop where it was cured of the virus I had picked up watching streamed American television shows on some sites let's just say are not as professional as Hulu...but I needed my Game of Thrones fix.

2011: Back in the US, I needed to buy a replacement adapter. I went the cheap route and bought one on Amazon for $14. It worked for a while but eventually another issue arose because it wouldn't charge the battery and needed to be rotated in the power jack until it was in a precise position before it would give any power to the laptop. Even nudging the laptop slightly would cause it to immediately shut down. So I stopped using it.

That's the sad story of my laptop up until now. Last week I was missing it and shelled out $65 for a Dell replacement power adapter. I figured I wouldn't go the cheap route again. It arrived today and there is no response from my computer. I'm quite sad and looking for some advice.

I can't afford a new laptop at this time. I am wondering if my next step should be buying a new battery. I kept getting notifications upon start up that my battery needed to be replaced but I always figured this was Dell trying to get me to shell out more money on a machine that already cost around $800. A replacement battery from Dell runs $149 before shipping. I worry that if I buy the battery and there's still no response from my computer, I will be out over $214. Then there is the possibility that another repair of the power jack might be necessary, but I'm not sure how to tell.

I am not sure who I can go to in person to get these questions answered, so figured I'd turn to this forum.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance to those who offer their input and advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kelsyhb

kelsyhb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

After thinking a little while longer, it seems that it couldn't be an issue with the battery since the previous adapter wouldn't charge the battery but still kept the laptop on...it was at 0%, not charging. So power cord or something internal...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users