Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 US based secure email providers shut down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Instead of being asked or forced to comply with US government requests to monitor Edward Snowden's email addresses, Lavabit and SilentCircle have decided to take the unusual step of shutting down their operations instead. Ladar Levison, the owner of Lavabit, posted a message on the company web site that states that instead of providing access to the US government he has chosen to shut down his company in order to not "become complicit in crimes against the American people"

More information here:

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/08/13/Visit-from-Feds-Has-Two-Email-Providers-Closing-Shop

Edited by Grinler, 13 August 2013 - 01:38 PM.
Fleshed out

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi Bleepin Big Rig aka BlackSyder! 

I saw your thread, and I wanted you to know I started one on the same topic in Speak Easy here

Would love if you could plz visit and post and add to the discussion regarding Silent Circle including your good link from here.  I was waiting for someone else to add on Silent Circle :)

very interested to know hope you will come there and post too

thank you ~stolen

#3 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Its good to know that their are some people with staunch principles out there. I think the principle was set when China demanded that Yahoo reveal the records of their customers and they did but Google took a stand and refused to do that then shut down its operations in China and moved them to Hongkong, Resulting in a share price dive for Yahoo and a boom for Google.I know that's something I wont forget in a hurry.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

More information regarding why from the CEO of Silent Circle here: http://www.zdnet.com/the-truth-about-why-silent-circle-silenced-their-secure-email-service-7000019300/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 drcrpsych

drcrpsych

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I am pleased that there are some who standy by  their values and who will take what some may consider drastic action to sustain and honour their moral compass...

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Add another victim to the list:

The award-winning legal analysis site Groklaw is shutting because its founder says that "there is no way" to continue to run it without using secure email - and that the threat of NSA spying means that could be compromised.

More and quote from: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/20/groklaw-shuts-nsa-surveillance

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

there was another one recently posted in the news, but for the life of me I cannot find the website again. This business owner had received many requests from the the government for information about his users, however he skirted them by stating accurately that he did not collect it.  There was no name requirement for use of the free system, just a username and password. After being brought to court again he shut down his servers, stating (by memory so I am paraphrasing) "although I cannot talk about what was discussed, I am shutting down [name of company] to prevent us from being required to collect information that violates the privacy rights of the american people, I cannot believe that our government has these laws in private, and not told to the people."  Multiple times during that interview he stated that he was not allowed to talk about "it" whenever any of the government requirements were broached.

We stopped being a free country a long time ago, but the internet has made that more apparent to all citizens than ever before.

Edited by wing987, 23 August 2013 - 03:50 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

I believe you're referring to Silent Circle. Which I mentioned in post #4. More here regarding Silent Circle:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/08/09/another-e-mail-service-shuts-down-over-government-spying-concerns/

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

That doesnt sound right, but I am not arguing because it very well might be. I could swear I read it on popsci.com, or foxnews.com

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Not disagreeing with you as I'd like to know if the list is growing. But I did a site search on both sites you mentioned. The only services, email or otherwise, that have shut due to the governments activities, that I was able to find, are the three already mentioned thus far. Those are LavaBit, Silent Circle and Groklaw.

If anyone finds more choosing to close please share with us so we can monitor the situation.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users