Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend built a gaming PC for me, doesn't run the games I want

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Smexch

Smexch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

New to the forum, hoping I can get some good advice from you guys :) A while back, an old friend I don't talk to anymore built a PC for me and it was quite costly and disappointing. I'm hoping it can meet my standards without another huge cost to upgrade.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional  64 Bit Operating System

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @3.40 GHz (edit)

8GB RAM

Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

(When exploring the Nvidia CP, a few of the games we got this PC for are all listed as 'Not Recommended' under the Stereoscopic 3D compatible list [maybe because the games are more 2D and this list doesn't matter? I'm not sure!]. The main reason we have a pc for gaming is for Total War games, or other RTS games that are similar.)

All of the graphics card settings are still set to factory, so if there are any changes I can make in it's CP, I'm too nervous to do in case I ruin it.

That is all the PC information I know how to get, so I posted it.

Basically all I am asking is how to make this PC run RTS games better, as I'd like to have it working before Total War: Rome II comes out next month :)

Thank you for anyone's time reading this post!

Edited by Smexch, 13 August 2013 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Judging from specs, that is a near top end gaming system.  It should run everything out there without a sweat, unless you have some really insane resolution settings/multiple monitors.

What exactly is the problem?  How does it perform with the games you currently run on it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Smexch

Smexch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

That is a relief that it is a good PC. I've never had any complaints, I've only played a couple games on it though.

We only use one monitor and resolution is maxed at 1920x1080, so not too large. 

The problem is my boyfriend plays a LOT of Total War Empire, Shogun and Rome and says it lags up a lot during big battles. I believe all graphics are set to max, as I know those games can get pretty hectic with a lot going on. That said, being as we bought this computer specifically for games like that, we want it to look good and run smoothly.

Was wondering if we could adjust any settings on the graphics card or maybe upgrade something to keep it running well without sacrificing the graphics. The NVidia was set to focus on Quality over Performance, but I just changed the to balance. 

Thank you for the response! :)

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

If you are not monitoring the temperature of the cpu and video card, you should. Overheating can cause

similar problems as you are experiencing with performance.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @4.30 GHz ? Maybe you meant 3.40 GHz.....

I would of expected an i7 processor matched up with that video card. But I am not a gamer.

An i7 would cost another $100 more than an i5.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Smexch

Smexch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Oh YES! I did mean 3.40 GHz, thank you for noticing that. I will look into a new processor, thank you for suggestion.

The overheating does sound like it could be a problem, as he will play for hours and hours. Unfortunately the boyfriend is at work for another 4 hours, so I can't ask him if the problem is ongoing or if it only happens after hours of playing. If this is the issue, could it be solved with installing more fans?

Also, is the only way to monitor temp of cpu and videocard besides through Task Manager?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I use this free program to monitor temps and control one or two fan speeds in my Windows 7....SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

From that Link:

Disclaimer

This program is aimed at the power user. At those who know what they're doing. I've known of no real problem caused by SpeedFan, but may be it's due to the fact that once it made the PC explode and the user disappeared in the blast, thus being unable to report :-) Anyway: SpeedFan can be extremely useful, but you should first watch its behavior before setting and forgetting it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well, it should be at 4.3, it is a "K" after all. :)  I thought it was already overclocked, and thought "What a good friend to do that for you!".

In addition to the above, go into "Task Manager" and see what your CPU and memory usage is.  Possibly something is running in the background and eating up  CPU cycles.  Most of the time your CPU should idle between 0-3%, at least all of my builds do.  Good point on checking CPU temps.

Is it possible your internet connection can lag you?  I am woefully ignorant of RPG type games (an old FPS shooter here).  I don't play them so I really don't know what can lag gameplay, or if a bad internet connection can lag play.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

I just wanted to add that if for any reason you decide to upgrade to an i7 then you should

confirm that your power supply (psu) and your mother board are compatible with an i7 cpu.

Most likely the mother board would be but the psu may need upgrading too.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

I suggest getting Fraps and see what FPS he is getting during those big battles. Chances are that there is a massive FPS drop during those situations and a new graphics card upgrade would be the way to go if there is a FPS drop.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 Smexch

Smexch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thank you for all the responses! You've been very helpful. I installed Speedfan and am monitoring it. I noticed immediately the CPU was very hot and never really considered it, but the PC is set up on a carpeted floor and one of the legs to keep it elevated broken off (I think melted) near one of the fans. The PC has 4 fans, so overheat shouldn't be an issue. 

Either way, I cleaned a bit of dust out and moved it up onto my desk so it has plenty of room to breath! Seems to be running better already, will keep in mind upgrading the graphics card and/or processor if the problem still persists. 

I will try installing Fraps, it'll be interesting to see if the FPS only drops during chaotic game-play

Is it possible the lack of ventilation would cause the computer to freeze up? 

Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond :) If I do decide to upgrade, I will definitely be asking for recommendations from you guys!

Edited by Smexch, 13 August 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

Yes it is possible lack of ventilation can cause to freeze up and also it can lead to a decrease in performance.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 JimmieBriggs

JimmieBriggs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Smexch, the first recommendation I would do, is put the computer on top of the desk where there is nothing restricting airflow in the computer, the carpet is not the greatest thing for a computer as the fans suck up all that carpet and cause it to not breath properly. Also, if you know what you're looking for, I would look for the arrows on the case fans, they should be facing in the "← " direction to provide the most efficient airflow. See example below for correct airflow

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/5822/airflow.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users