Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is Linux Mint 15 constantly lagging for me?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm running a Live CD of Linux Mint 15 that I burned to a flash drive of mine. And Linux Mint 15 is pretty good, one of the coolest Live CDs I've ever used. Problem is, it's nigh unusable because of all the lag.

At startup it hangs at this black screen for 3 minutes where only the cursor shows, and when I'm browsing in Firefox or Chrome or something, every time I open a new tab it lags. But it's not just the browser, there are applications that also hang for a while before they open, and also lag when I try to use them. Did I do something wrong in trying to burn this?

EDIT: I might've been able to burn and run an XFCE of Linux Mint 15, maybe, but I don't know if that would work the same way. Is it up to date with Flash and all that like the full Linux Mint 15 is? Either way, I think it's too late to burn it.

Also, is there some Task Manager equivalent in Linux Mint 15 that I can maybe check, see what the problem is? Maybe it's CPU usage? 

My problem is, I don't normally have problems running a Linux Live CD. Why is this one lagging? xPUD didn't lag, Parted Magic didn't lag, I don't think Ubuntu even lagged. If I have reasonable computer specs, I should be able to run Linux Mint 15, right? Is this a known issue with Linux Mint 15?

EDIT 2: Actually, does this belong in the Live Linux forum? This is a Live CD. But is that forum really for troubleshooting? 

EDIT 3: Or should I have picked the 64-bit version? How do I know if my computer is 64-bit? In Windows, if I right-click My Computer to get to the System Properties, it would say "64-bit" somewhere on the screen if it was 64-bit, right? 

And what is Compatibility Mode? Might that work?

Edited by Kaljinyu, 14 August 2013 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Did I run out of edits? The Edit button is gone.

Anyway, might it also be because when I burned it with Universal USB Installer, I picked the option of a really big persistent file?

I tried Compatibility Mode by the way. Didn't help.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hmmmm...do you have this installed on a flash drive or a dvd?

Your first post implied it was 'Live' and then your last post says 'persistent'.

I know I've had a problem with one or two persistents and great success with 2 more....all on flash drives.

When you say 'really big'.....the norm is only 4 GB....because of the file system.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

It's a Live CD on a flash drive, I burned it to the flash drive with Universal USB Installer. And I picked a persistent file that was 4096 MB in size, the biggest they would allow. 

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I had very good results with Puppy Slacko installed as persistent on a flash. It's the fastest of them all. Faster than

the Ubuntu I have installed on hdd. Faster loading, surfing and plays videos without any stutter...no difference than installed on hdd.

I have an older Ubuntu and a newer Ubuntu (10.04.4 and 12.04.2) installed as persistent, too. They work very well. Especially the 10.04.4

If you are not insistent on using the distro you now have, it would be worth it to just reformat and install either Ubuntu

or Puppy Slacko that released a newer version 2 days ago. Depends on whether those will satisfy your usage needs.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

How does Puppy Sicko stack up against Linux Mint 15? Is Flash up to date? Does it have at least two browsers? I even think Linux Mint 15 can run .EXE's, can Puppy Sicko do that?

I don't need Puppy Sicko to be perfect, I just need to know what it can do, in general.

EDIT: Puppy Slacko, I mean. For some reason I didn't see that "A".

Edited by Kaljinyu, 10 September 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

If you want to play Windows games or run a program that is designed for Windows and not Linux then you

will need Wine. I don't think Wine would work in such a small 4 GB file system. Not sure, though. Maybe someone

who uses Wine will offer their input on that. .EXEs are Window executionable programs and will not work in Linux

without Wine.

#8 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

I don't really need that so much though.

http://slacko.01micko.com/download.html

Is that where you download Slacko? Which one do I pick? PAE or non-PAE? It doesn't really explain the difference.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

You can download this slacko-5.6-PAE.iso

or if you want to make it persistent...from here after downloading the Universal USB Installer:

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

#10 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'm not sure if I want to make it persistent, I think that caused some problems with Linux Mint 15. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. What exactly am I doing in making it persistent?

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Persistent will allow Slacko and your browser to remember custom settings, passwords, bookmarks, added or deleted programs and

a small 4 GB of storage for documents, etc.

There is really no updating of Slacko except for getting the latest release which so far has been in 6 month increments.

Really, I think Ubuntu is the better choice for persistent install as it can be updated.

If you choose to go with Live only, either one of the two distros is fine for online access.

#12 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

But would/could making it persistent cause it to lag? Like it did last time?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

How much physical memory does your computer have?

#14 Kaljinyu

Kaljinyu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

2GB. Is that not enough? I had a feeling it was a memory problem. 

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

2Gigs is not enough for a livecd as on my wife's system which as 2gigs of RAM it also lags as it loads everything to RAM after it decompresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users