Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU overheats!!! And computer shutdown..

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tataa

tataa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hello everyone,

So I've a Compaq presario CQ60, unmodified Laptop.

It has been clean inside out for dust and new thermal paste, and is running Windows 7.

Problem: Whenever running high demanding graphic processor programs, the computer overheats and shutsdown.

I use speedfan and registered 100ºc on GPU while HD is on 50ºc.

This is while using a notepad fan, that cools down the underside of the laptop...

What is happening? this is not normal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

From the service manual I found, It seems the CPU and GPU share the same cooler/heatsink/fan.  My guess is that somehow the cooler is not seated properly.  Good contact on the CPU, bad contact with GPU.

Were there any thermal pads (~1mm thick) incorporated into the cooling system?  I have seen times where the gap between processor and heatsink was too large and caused overheating problems even when covered with thermal compound.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 JimmieBriggs

JimmieBriggs

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

tataa, the most common problem with those HP G60/Compaq CQ60's is the video chip has problems with overheating and will eventually lead to failure. The best thing I would do is put a tiny bit of thermal paste on the video chip if the thermal pads aren't there or they are dried up. I've had to repair dozens of these computers for the problem of the video chip failing.

#4 tataa

tataa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

From the service manual I found, It seems the CPU and GPU share the same cooler/heatsink/fan.  My guess is that somehow the cooler is not seated properly.  Good contact on the CPU, bad contact with GPU.

Were there any thermal pads (~1mm thick) incorporated into the cooling system?  I have seen times where the gap between processor and heatsink was too large and caused overheating problems even when covered with thermal compound.

tataa, the most common problem with those HP G60/Compaq CQ60's is the video chip has problems with overheating and will eventually lead to failure. The best thing I would do is put a tiny bit of thermal paste on the video chip if the thermal pads aren't there or they are dried up. I've had to repair dozens of these computers for the problem of the video chip failing.

Well the computer was throughly cleaned and new thermal paste was aplied by a proffesional 6 months ago, and previously the computer had the same problem, I thought it was the dust clogging, but now its GPU based, and even with a good cooling pad the computer won't last an hour with GPU demanding programs..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users