Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sky Broadband live date question, can you help me please?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

Hi I hope this is the right forum and I hope you can help me?

I was with TalkTalk (my last phone bill was £33.45. I wandered into a Carphone Wearhouse shop looking to upgrade my mobile phone, and we got talking about Sky broadband. he signed me up to Sky Unlimited talk anytime (is that the right name for this package?)

Apparently I can use the internet 24/7, and and the landline (not lieterally as ear would fall off!) for £24.50 a month (or did he say year?) and then £29.50 when the offer ends.

They are going to send me a modem and my live date is 20th August. I have had a letter from TalkTalk stating that I need a MAC code otherwise they said my internet wouldn't work.

I am a bit worried about rigning them because the customer services are not very good and they have idian accents which I cannot understand. My main reason is that they will refuse me this MAC code haranguing me to stay with them.  :ranting: 

Can you please advise me what I should do please? I thought Sky would be sorting this out. undecided.gif

Many thanks and hope you can help me.

Edited by LouiseTopp, 13 August 2013 - 03:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

Funny you should say that - I too switched from TalkTalk to Sky on essentially the same package !

You do need the MAC code, but Sky will deal with that. As I understand the law in this field in the UK, they cannot refuse you a MAC code. They can try to persuade you to stay with them, and will try.

What they can do is, if your contract hasn't expired with TalkTalk, charge you for at least some of the remaining term of your present contract. This is in the T&Cs you agreed to with TalkTalk. My situation was that I had just renewed my TalkTalk contract when I realised that the lousy quality of service I was getting wasn't going to improve, and I took advantage of the 28 day 'cooling off' period to cancel, which I did both by e-mail and written letter to their service address.

Mind you, it took another year with Sky, and varying levels of connectivity, before I got the problem finally solved. It turned out there was a faulty connection in the local BT cabinet.

Hope this helps,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

Well the box (router) has arrived this morning.  I have been told that it might be a bit slow to start off with for the first 10 days so I hope it speeds up, are you happy with your service now?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Glad your switch-over has succeeded.

To put some numbers on this. Before I signed up with Sky they did a line check and said my connection should give a download of between 4 and 9 Mbps, but that it would start off at a low level and rise. Apparently they believe in winding up the connection over a period of a few days. Anyway, it climbed to about 2Mbps and levelled off there. As this was about 10 times the performance of my previous connection, I let this go, but after about 6 or 7 months, this started dropping to about 400Kbps, at which point I started complaining.

Give Sky their due, my experience was that once they accepted there was a problem they did something about. When they said a technician would phone me, he did within the appointed time. And when they realised there was a line problem, the BT engineer arrived inside the stated timespan. It was he who tracked it down to a faulty connection in the local BT cabinet - a hairline fracture in the connection on the exchange side in the cabinet. Oh yes, and my phone has stopped crackling as well.

Since then, I have been getting a download rate of a reasonably steady 9.8 Mbps which is slightly better than the top of the range I was originally quoted. My upload rate is reasonable without being exceptional.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

Seems to be OK at the moment which I am surprised about, so I hope it don't start slowing down.  I am now looking to change mobile phone companies shortly :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users