Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Mobo, No POST, No Bios, Not new build

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fireman58fd

fireman58fd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

So this is not a new build, I built this machine around February of 2011 and tried a fresh Windows 7 64-bit install the other day.

Everything about this build was fine from the first install of Windows. The other day I tried installing Windows 7 64-bit again and while it was doing its own thing I went to take a shower to come back to a computer with just a blank screen and no boot. I had DVI plugged to my GPU so I moved that to the motherboard output.

I get no boot from disk, hdd, or ssd. No BIOS or anything from display, my monitor goes from "no signal" to just standby. I have tried DVI, VGA, and HDMI and 2 different monitors just to be sure.

All motherboard LED's seem to light up for their test but "boot_device_led" appears to stay lit constantly without turning off (it is hidden behind one of my GPU's but it's on)

I have reset CMOS according to the motherboards manual, moving the jumper from 1-2 pin to 2-3 for awhile then moving it back, to no success.

I took everything apart, double checked all connections and everything seemed fine, it wasn't a new build and had just been working for well over a year with no problems until now doing a fresh Windows 7 install. All fans spin up, all gpu, cpu, psu, and case fans.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Hardware:
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Motherboard

i7 2600 @ 3.5GHz, never overclocked, stock fan

EVGA Geforce GTX 560 TI Superclocked in 2-Way SLI

8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

Samsung SSD (Planned location for OS)
Western Digital Blue (Previous location of OS)

Western Digital Green (Just random storage, was previously inside an external case)

Some random DVD-RW drive that was working just fine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Had a similar problem on my machine recently when I replaced the fans cooling the internal HDDs. Basically the cables for SATA drives are terribly designed. They plug in very loosely, yet the cables are incredibly stiff, so if there is a bend in the cable near where they plug in, they tend to unplug themselves.

#3 fireman58fd

fireman58fd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hmm, one was loose but I put it back on, still no post or bios sadly, thanks for the idea.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

What could be the reason for the sudden reinstallation of Windows? Try the steps below and inspect also for any unwanted bulging capacitor, burns, oxide build on the motherboad.

1. Try removing all data drives with SSD for OS only connected.

2. Use the onboard video first by physically removing the video card and check the BIOS for the default graphics output if needed to be manually enabled.

3. Check the processor and if possible reseat it properly and see if the thermal paste is in good fresh condition.

4. If nothing happens above, use another slot for the RAM module for the 8 gig stick. If for example for dual channel color pairing is blue and yellow, the RAM stick would be moved to the 3rd blue slot (blue-yellow-blue-yellow) for testing. Another option is to use another stick of compatible memory as the no signal could point to either a video card or memory stick problem.

5. If nothing changes, remove the motherboard power connector, CMOS battery and press the power button for a good 10 to 20 seconds then test again.

6. Use another good working power supply of same or greater wattage output.

Tekken

#5 fireman58fd

fireman58fd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

I followed most of that. Got everything running before doing my GPUs.

Got BIOS, Got Windows installed to SSD, got mobo drivers installed. Shut down.

Plugged in only one GPU and started it up, GPU fans spin up at full speed and all my other fans (including cpu fan) seem to be spinning at only half speed, boot_device_led returns with no bios or boot.

Bad GPU or is my PSU freakin out?

My PSU is a Kingwin Lazer LZ-850 850w modular psu.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Bad GPU or is my PSU freakin out?

2. Use the onboard video first by physically removing the video card and check the BIOS for the default graphics output if needed to be manually enabled.

You can swap a known good PSU of atleast a 600/500 watt capacity to test.

Tekken

#7 fireman58fd

fireman58fd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

I tried my second gpu (with the first one unplugged) and fan spins at regular speed, boot_device_led turns off, but no boot or display.

Unfortunately that is the only psu I have available.

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

Try unplugging any and all USB devices that you are using. Again I had a similar problem. Seems that the USB ports remember what ever was plugged into them, and if you plug a USB device into a different port, from that which it was plugged into when its driver was installed, the computer won't boot.

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

Might also metion that a dead mobo battery will also prevent the machine from having any video on the monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users