Hello, I'm a network Admin, and I'm upgrading all our companies computers to Win7. I've been doing it a month or so now with no issues, until last Friday.
- All our computers are Dell Optiplex 980's 990's and 9010's - Win7 - x64 - 8GB ram.
I have an image of the build which I use Acronis to install. (a separate image for each model)
I run Sysprep after the image is made, uniquely assign a machine name, etc.
All the 980's have the ATI Radeon HD 3400 series video cards, the kind that requires a dongle for dual output.
Suddenly all my builds boot up into Windows - and the 2nd monitor is "gone"
- meaning that Windows "sees" it - but the monitor itself gets no "signal" - and yet Windows 7 detects it, and even allows for monitor swapping as far as the primary screen.
My image has NOT changed - so all the computers I've imaged in the past few weeks, which work, are the same as the one I created 45 minutes ago - which doesn't work.
Trouble shooting steps taken:
- video card driver - latest according to AMD website
- Swapped dual monitor dongle with several different knows good ones.
- Swapped "like" video cards 2 or 3 times - problem stays (which hints at a driver issue)
- Swapped monitors with different known good ones.
Curiously - if I trade cables on the dongle (1 goes into dongle "2" and 2 goes in to dongle "1") the "non-working" monitor works and the working one doesn't.
It's as if the second dongle output isn't sending a signal - even though Win7 detects a monitor there (as long as one is plugged in)
I can't figure it out - especially since "nothing has changed".