Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd monitor stopped working... out of the blue...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 corycar

corycar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Hello, I'm a network Admin, and I'm upgrading all our companies computers to Win7.  I've been doing it a month or so now with no issues, until last Friday. 

- All our computers are Dell Optiplex 980's 990's and 9010's - Win7 - x64 - 8GB ram.

I have an image of the build which I use Acronis to install. (a separate image for each model)

I run Sysprep after the image is made, uniquely assign a machine name, etc.

All the 980's have the ATI Radeon HD 3400 series video cards, the kind that requires a dongle for dual output.

Suddenly all my builds boot up into Windows - and the 2nd monitor is "gone"

- meaning that Windows "sees" it - but the monitor itself gets no "signal" - and yet Windows 7 detects it, and even allows for monitor swapping as far as the primary screen.

My image has NOT changed - so all the computers I've imaged in the past few weeks, which work, are the same as the one I created 45 minutes ago - which doesn't work.

Trouble shooting steps taken:

- video card driver - latest according to AMD website

- Swapped dual monitor dongle with several different knows good ones.

- Swapped "like" video cards 2 or 3 times - problem stays (which hints at a driver issue)

- Swapped monitors with different known good ones.

Curiously - if I trade cables on the dongle (1 goes into dongle "2" and 2 goes in to dongle "1") the "non-working" monitor works and the working one doesn't.

It's as if the second dongle output isn't sending a signal - even though Win7 detects a monitor there (as long as one is plugged in)

I can't figure it out - especially since "nothing has changed".

Ideas?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 corycar

corycar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I actually re-imaged one with an older image - and it too doesn't work.

- I suspect a "bug", but don't know where it could have come from

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users