Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it better to have Loved and lost

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Than to have never Loved at alll?

Is it better to burn out, or to just fade away?

Between Grief and Nothing, Is it better to take Grief?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 August 2013 - 07:52 PM.
moved from Speak Easy

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Is it better to have loved and lost than to never loved at all?

That depends on what you get when it's splitsville or if you are the beneficiary of the life insurance policy and how much it's for.

Is it better to burn out, or to just fade away?

According to Def Leppard it is

It's better to burn out than fade away

from: Rock Of Ages. As a Def Lep fan I spotted that one immediately

Between Grief and Nothing, Is it better to take Grief?[quote]

These 2 chose grief: 

From Ferris Bueller's Day Off  (we watched this movie many times)

[quote]Ed Rooney: Between grief and nothing... I'll take grief[/quote]

William Faulkner: [quote]Between grief and nothing, I will take grief.

(thank you Mrs. Rankin for being my English teacher for 3 years in high school and introducing me to Faulkner)

Many others choose nothing.

FollowUp.png
William Faulkner : Between grief and nothing I will take grief.

FollowUp.png
William Faulkner : Between grief and nothing I will take grief.

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:29 PM

I think it is better to have known love and lost it, however painful it is. than to just hear everyone else talk about it like it is some grandiose concept of existential fruition  ;  "The end-all  be-all of human existence" ~  Ferris Bueller

I Like the burn out type, kind of like comparing a TOP Fuel Dragster to a NASCAR that just fades away. Or maybe comparing a Quarter Horse to a Thoroghbred that just kind of fades away.  I like them fast out of the gate, even though it won't last long.

I thought it was Neil Young that came up with that one. NeiL gets alot of flack, but he is so burned out he doesn't care. I saw on some TV show that Ol' NeiL bought the rights and ownership  to Lionel Toy Train Co..    How appropriate.

Yes,, that is one of the highlights of the Movie, Principal Rooney sucking up to Ferris' girl Sloan outside the school

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

You are right about Neil Young and that phrase. I forgot all about it and it jogged my memory. Got some of his stuff on my computer and looked at it. And there it is

My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) which contains the burn out/fade away phrase. I'm not a big Neil Young fan but some of his songs I do like.

Better to burn out is also in My My, Hey Hey (Into the Black)  "It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps"

I don't know which one used it first.

Neil Young 1979

Def Lep       1983

But Def was the first one that popped into my mind.

I've lost at love or what I thought was love. Looking back, I'm glad I lost because the guy turned out to be a real jerk later on. For some reason he liked to get married and after about 5 years he went looking for someone else. He had 4 ex-wives (I am not one of them) that I know of and at this time am not sure if he's married or not. 

While I was not happy at losing I quickly got over him because I finally got a clue about his true colors from his first ex-wife and his brother.

Another point about it's better to have lost than not loved at all concerns a marriage that breaks up when there are children involved. No matter what mom and dad think about each other they at least got their children out of the deal and that is something that one should be grateful for and feel blessed to have them.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 August 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#5 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

I Like the burn out type.

It's the burn.

Love

or

Lost

It's still a burn.

#6 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Oh Yes, it happens all the time. It hurts at first but after some time a person can look back and realize that it really was for the best.  enabling a fresh approach to a new beginning...UNLESS the youngsters are in the picture, then it gets complicated.

But that first cut is always the deepest.

It is so ironic that def leppards singer used to rag on NeiL all the time with vitriol, and rightfully so, most of NeiLs art was just stupid, but now he and his band are covering a few NeiL songs. I guess maturity can make a person/artist enjoy even the most pitiful excuse for music.

"Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Long May You Run, synergy.

Neil looked strung out a lot. Whether he was or wasn't I don't know.

#8 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

my favorite line of NeiLs, he was on Johnny Carson, and when asked about how he gets inspired to write songs and if there is any personal reflection  ,,,,he replied    "Most of the time i am so wasted, i forgot what i wrote ten minutes later"

#9 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

Now here's a blast from the past.....

me personally I like the loved and lost deal....

1st one died

2nd one turned into a drunk...

3rd one, I was his rebound girl....

4th one was a momma baby.....

After that I decided that there was 2  things I needed to stay away from...men & Lightening..LOL

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#10 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

Tough one?..........................perhaps if I've never loved at all I would still be capable of believing in fairy tales

already did the burn out and feel like I'm fading away......................................

I know grief and compared to some of it,"nothing''doesn't sound so bad.........?

Edited by newbleeping, 15 August 2013 - 12:25 AM.

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#11 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

"Is it better to have loved and lost than to never loved at all?"

Um !

Well another appropriate saying is :-

​"What you`ve never had, you'll never miss"

And that is very true.