Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The US Castle Doctrine/Law

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

This is defined as :-

"A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal doctrine that designates a person's abode (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as a car or place of work) as a place in which the person has certain protections and immunities and may in certain circumstances use force, up to and including deadly force, to defend against an intruder without becoming liable to prosecution."

I believe that the United States of America is the only remaining bastion of social freedom in the Western World. All other Westernised countries that I know of have by law withdrawn the natural right of an individual to protect themselves, their family and their property. In Britain it is forbidden to hurt the intruder, we are supposed to just sit back and think of England while they pillage our home or hurt or kill our family in the process. You are likely to be imprisoned or heavily fined for hurting these individuals.

I ask you all, particularly Americans, how you feel about this comforting legal right to protect yourselves and your property, from either a moral aspect or practical experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

It's complicated further in each state so it's not uniform in the US. What's a legal application of force in say Montana may not be legal in New York or Virgina for example.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

my advice-unless you REALLY want to know my perspective on the topic, don't break into my home in the middle of the night.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

@patriot. ditto here. and you can tell me your views on the topic, but i'm bettin i already know. 

@yabba one time, after several attempted break ins at my home and my vehicles being broken in to, I was sleeping with the windows open in the heat of the summer.

In the middle of the night, I was awakened by people out on the driveway of my home right under my window attempting to break into my car. I could hear their voices. I was so enraged, I ran to the window, threw it open more and yelled at them to get the hell off my property or I would shoot. I also tripped the alarm system on my home which sounded like all hell was breaking loose.

So, do ya think they stuck around?

edit: I would not have actually shot them, but it worked. and it was the heat of the moment :)

Also there is a quite recent and very public media debate on the Stand Your Ground Law, which is somewhat related.

Edited by stolen, 12 August 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

My brother in law came home one day to find 2 teenagers ransacking his house. He beat them both black and blue, threw them in the street and called the police. He told the police there'd been a big fight outside of his house and a couple of guys were hurt. They were still hanging around when the police rocked up... They tried to say that it was my brother in law that beat them after they broke in his house, to which the police just looked at them and took them away. He never heard anything of it again...

Wouldn't get away with that normally here though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users