Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Free internet access" Europe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heshie75v

heshie75v

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Just got back from a trip to Europe and have a question regarding "Free internet access" there.  I tried to log on to the internet with my smart phone at McDonalds, which indicated free access, but it would not connect.  I asked someone there and was told it only works with European phones and If my is from the US it would not work

Why is this and is there a way to solve this in the future?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

Perhaps their site would help you http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/Restaurants/Free-WiFi.html

Tekken

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Just got back from a trip to Europe and have a question regarding "Free internet access" there.  I tried to log on to the internet with my smart phone at McDonalds, which indicated free access, but it would not connect.  I asked someone there and was told it only works with European phones and If my is from the US it would not work
     Why is this and is there a way to solve this in the future?

Thanks

It might depend on the country you were in. I am guessing that McDonald's does not have one "unified" European operations...i.e. McDonald's in each country likely operates separately from other countries. And how they handle WiFi in their restaurants then likely varies from country to country.

If my assumption is correct, then there may be some countries where it is completely free, but there maybe some countries where it is free if you have cell service through a specific carrier (kind of like McDonald's WiFi in the US used to be in the past when they had a deal with AT&T...if my memory serves me correctly).

So, you may need to go to the McDonald's site for that particular country and it might offer an explanation.

Of course, the person you talked to may not know what they were talking about and you may have just had some technical issue that prevented you from connecting...not that you were using a US phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users