Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Application Switcher = Black Rectangle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tgradient

tgradient

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi everyone - newbie poster here.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I have a Windows XP machine with a roaming profile served by Windows Server 2007.  Some time ago, the application switcher pop-up, which normally shows icons for all open applications, turned into a solid black rectangle (size adjusts, depending on the number of apps open).  This is true no matter what machine I use with my profile so it would appear that it is some sort of corruption at the profile level.

This is a work machine and I do have an IT company that I could have look at this for me, but something like this would come with an hourly charge so I'd prefer to figure out how to solve it myself as it's certainly not mission critical, just annoying.

FYI, I would call my self an intermediary Windows user.  I'm not a novice by any stretch (have been using PCs since the DOS days), but despite by computer geek leanings have never put the time into being true power user so please tailor any suggestions accordingly.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Do what is says here: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP.

#3 tgradient

tgradient
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the response!

I could be wrong, but it looks like that help page is specifically talking about local profiles.  My profile originates at the server. I expect that there would be some significant ramifications of creating a new profile for myself on the server (links to Exchange, for example) - likely something that I don't want to get into.  Is there another way of going about solving this?

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

It also talks about domain computers.

Sorry, networking is my weak point. Maybe someone else can offer some help.

#5 tgradient

tgradient
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Bump.  Anybody else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users