Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Envy dv6 laptop unable to boot to Linux, Live CD's, etc.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Health

Health

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I have an HP Envy dv6 laptop with Windows 8 installed.  I was wondering why I'm able to boot to an HP recovery CD, but not able to boot from Live CD's like Linux, Ubuntu and Rescue CD's, etc. 

I enabled UEFI first boot device to  > Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive and Legacy first boot device to > Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive. I have also done the same for an external USB CD/DVD and flash drive and still unable to boot from Linux, Ubuntu and Rescue CD's, etc.

All of these CD's, boot on my HP Desktop with no problem. 

I would greatly appreciate your technical insight, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

Linux Foundation ships UEFI Secure Boot workaround

Should work with any distro, but not without hassle - By Neil McAllister, 11th February 2013

#3 Health

Health
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hello - I will review the link you provided, thanks.  I apologize but there is one thing I didn't mention in my prior posting.  There are two boot options (Secure boot) and (Legacy boot) which cancel each other out when one is selected.  For example, if I select Secure boot it will cancel out Legacy boot vise versa. 

With an alternative in mind.  Would there be a reason why the CD's/DVD's are not booting in Legacy mode? Thanks

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

In the BIOS, is the computer setup to try and boot from the CD/DVD drive first?

#5 Health

Health
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Yes, the Internal CD/DVD Rom drive is selected.  Again, I can boot from the bootable HP Recovery CD's and a Windows 7 CD, but nothing else.

Thanks

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

It sounds like it may be a Secure Boot problem. Did you read the above page? With Secure Boot, the UEFI firmware will only boot operating systems that have been digitally signed.

#7 Health

Health
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

I agree it is a Secure Boot issue. Although, with the Secure Boot (disabled) and Legacy Boot (enabled) why is it still not booting from Legacy boot?

What I am trying to say is that I don't want to install this Linux workaround just to boot to Linux, Ubunto, Live CD's.  I need a resolution where I can boot from any CD/DVD or USB software?

Thanks

#8 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

... with the Secure Boot (disabled) and Legacy Boot (enabled) why is it still not booting from Legacy boot?

That would be a question for the motherboard maker.

The above link mentions two workarounds that may work with your setup.

#9 Health

Health
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

I will try to review the documentation today and post my thoughts.  Thanks again!

If there is any one else that has any input regarding a Secure Boot workarounds please reply to this post, I would greatly appreciate any input.

#10 Health

Health
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

I had sometime today to look into the problem a little further.  We left off where I disable Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Boot and still was unable to boot to Lenox Live CD's.  On my Envy Dv6 laptop, I selected F9 on boot which brought me to the "Boot Options" screen in the BIOS (Boot Manager).  Here I selected boot from Internal CD/DVD Rom Drive, then saved the changes and now I am able to login to any bootable CD/DVD I choose.

I will share the link that was posted with others that choose to install Linux locally.  I want to thank you for your time in assisting me with this problem.  Please consider this post solved.

Cheers! :thumbsup:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users