Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Has Encounter A Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chaas77

chaas77

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:48 PM

My mother-in-law recently acquired a Dell laptop with XP home on it and when she boots the pc, all she gets is a message Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. When you click ok, the message goes away but you cannot do anything at all on the pc. You can't click on anything nor can you use the start button to shut down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:10 AM

This can be caused by a corrupt Windows file, and there could be several causes of that, from software conflicts to malware.

Let's see how bad the corruption is. Can you boot into safe mode and do things work in safe mode ok?

Hit F8 key repeatedly at boot up and make the proper choice when a list presents itself.

Then you could also choose Last Known Good Configuration from that list and see if that cures your ills.

Another thing to try is to boot to safe mode, and try to use the System Restore function. More info on this can be found HERE.

If the computer won't start in safe mode, there is still a chance it will start in Safe Mode w/a command prompt. You can run system restore from there. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt. Then follow the instructions found HERE.

Do you have your restore disks for this computer? (I am not suggesting to wipe everything out and start over - yet - but if none of these ideas work then we might try to repair the damage another way).
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

Well, not knowing the statistics on this computer whether it has Service Pack 2 or not I would suggest the following.

Since this shuts down the system this makes it difficult to reinstall anything in Windows in Normal mode.

If you already have Service Pack 2 installed and you want to reinstall it Service Pack 2 if it is on a CD-R you can not install it because the CD-Rom drive will not work in Safe Mode, no drivers loaded for any of the devices.

There is only one possible fix for this outside of doing a complete re-install of Windows; this is called a REPAIR of Windows. For this you are going to need several things and the most important is the Recovery disk for this computer and that is just for the IMAGE file for the system tracks.

Below are several on-line documents and for your convenience I would suggest printing them out on another computer and also you are going to need the use of someone else's computer that has Atleast on CD-Rom burner that works

Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc = http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

An extra added article just incase you decide to reinstall

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

#4 chaas77

chaas77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:34 PM

Ok, I tried everything and ended up having to run the repair with the XP cd. That has made it a bit better, but now I am dealing with TONS of viruses. So after I get them taken care of, I will see how everything is working.

Thanks for your help so far!

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:09 PM

If you're working with tons of viruses, it would be a good idea to read this. Even if you don't post a log after cleanup, it will help with the cleanup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users