Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp laserjet p2015dn printer error 21.000 and 20.000

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hey guys,

The printer we have have been giving the 20 and 21 errors for the past couple of weeks. The printer will print a job, then give an orange blinking light and won't print anything else until it is restarted. I looked up the errors and saw that the memory could be a problem. This printer had no memory card. We have since then purchased one and installed it. However, even after this we still get the same errors and same behavior.

I'm not so sure what hte issue could be at this point, any ideas or tips will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Have you tried printing a Demo page (according to the manual, you press the "Go" button when no other print jobs are taking place and the "Ready" list is on) and seeing if the same thing happens?

#3 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

Nothing happens

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

Nothing happens

According to the manual, that should print out a Demo page.

You could try a Configuration page. According to the manual, press and hold the Go button for at least 5 seconds.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00623611/c00623611.pdf

See the "Managing and maintenance" > "Printer information" section

#5 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Okay, unplugged it and tried it again. It prints out a demo page. I really delved into some troubleshooting today. It seems that when I print a certain document from a certain computer it will give the symptoms above. So maybe my issue isn't with the printer at all but maybe a setting int he computer? It's a Mac by the way.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Okay, unplugged it and tried it again. It prints out a demo page. I really delved into some troubleshooting today. It seems that when I print a certain document from a certain computer it will give the symptoms above. So maybe my issue isn't with the printer at all but maybe a setting int he computer? It's a Mac by the way.

Is it just that one document on that one computer? If so, what kind of document and how big is the document? It could be that the document is too big for the printer to effectively handle. I run into this on occasion with my LaserJet 6MP. Since it is a laser printer, it need to load the WHOLE document into the printers memory in order to print it. I believe that Ink Jet printers can do partial loads as they can effectively stop the page in mid printing, unlike a laser printer. When this happens to my laserjet, I have to power it off for a minute or so and then power it back on. Sometimes then it might print that file...but if it is truly too big, then I might have to switch to my inkjet.

As to it only being a problem with the Mac, it might be due to the Mac making use of postscript printing rather than PCL.

#7 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

The files is not that big, not sure of the measure but it's a single page pdf form. It'll print it out fine at first, but if we need to print anything else afterward it won't do anything but blink until I restart it. I didn't think about PCL and postscript, I wonder how I would check that.

Also we just added 256MB of memory to that printer, so that rules out memory issues.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

The files is not that big, not sure of the measure but it's a single page pdf form. It'll print it out fine at first, but if we need to print anything else afterward it won't do anything but blink until I restart it. I didn't think about PCL and postscript, I wonder how I would check that.

Also we just added 256MB of memory to that printer, so that rules out memory issues.

What are you using to print out the PDF on the Mac? The built-in Preview application or Acrobat Reader? What ever you are using, trying using the other to see if that changes anything.

Also, if you copy that same PDF to one of the other computers (in particular a Windows computer), does the same thing happen?

#9 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

It only happens on that particular computer (kicking myself for not testing that out first). I can print from my computer (Windows 7) and another users computer (Mac OS) and it prints fine multiple times. I believe we always tried to print on Acrobat Reader. I will see if Preview will work.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

It only happens on that particular computer (kicking myself for not testing that out first). I can print from my computer (Windows 7) and another users computer (Mac OS) and it prints fine multiple times. I believe we always tried to print on Acrobat Reader. I will see if Preview will work.

Do try Preview. Acrobat tends to have its own printer driver "supplement"...i.e. I don't believe it just uses the raw printer driver...it kind of "supplements" it some.

#11 KJackson50

KJackson50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

We tried preview as well as adobe. Did the same thing, I do thank you for helping me narrow it down. It has to be a driver issue. I'm going to try to update or find better drivers for it. If that doesn't work I'll try a simple uninstall and reinstall of said printer. I'll let you know if it works!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users