Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Size/color Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cjg

cjg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

ok well pretty much my computer is stuck at 640x480 16 color and when i try to change it tells me i gotta restart my computer and i do but nothing changes. can someone tell me what is going on and tell me how to fix it? i was thinking it was the graphics card but im not sure and i want to know if that could be it before i buy a new one... also i even put it so it says dont restart to change color and what not but it still makes me restart

Edited by cjg, 21 April 2006 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

That's the basic VGA size of a Safe Mode screen, in other words, no video driver loaded.

Rather than buy a new card, reinstall your video drivers. Do you have a disk, or is this something that came with the computer? Check your Device Manager (Windows key + Pause/Break key) and see what it says about your video card.

#3 cjg

cjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:19 PM

yeah i was thinking it was that i needed to reinstall the driver but somehow we lost the disc for it so i dont know how to fix it any other way. im looking at my graphics card thing and it says its working properly..... so now i really dont know whats up with it...

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

Hi cjg.
Post the make and model# of your system and we'll direct you to the correct drivers.

#5 cjg

cjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

windows 98... sorry about that

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

I think that what Hitsquad was referring to was what kind of computer do you have - Windows 98 is your operating system, but we need to know either your Video card name and model or, if it's onboard, your motherboard and/or computer - such as HP Pavilion 7845 or whatever brand it is. We need some information to help you.

You could download a small program called Everest - they no longer have a free version but older versions are still available. This is getting harder to find since Lavalys decided to stop having a free edition.

This program will show you information about your computer. When the program starts, expand the "Computer" entry at the top, then click "Summary" and scroll down to "Display" and information about your video adapter should be there.

#7 cjg

cjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:32 PM

well i have a 3DForce B-16,NVIDIA TNT2 Vanta (Ver 4.12.01.0532 6/26/2000). but i also heard that it might be my moniter that is messing so ill probably try borrowing someones moniter or maybe a freind of mine will give me one that i could check that.

#8 PurpleSky

PurpleSky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

Download your new drivers from www.nvidia.com and install. The drivers you get from the website will be the latest ones which are newer then the ones on the cd.

#9 cjg

cjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

OK well i got a new moniter and the color and screen size wont change. im pretty sure it says that the driver is installed for my graphics card. my brothers freind installed a cd burner for us and said it has its own little virus things and he said that that could be the problem. i dont know though. umm i tried installing a driver for my graphics card but it makes my computer mess up everytime... any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users