Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Edge -- doomed to fail?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi,

I didn't see a topic about the Ubuntu Edge yet here. So I figured I would make one.

Canonical has started a gigantic foundraiser, probably the largest ever, trying to raise about 32Million Dollars to make the Ubuntu Edge reality.

Now what is the Ubuntu Edge? It's a phone that is also a Computer. The dimension and intended use are that of a phone, but the specs and the interior are those of a small PC: 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. The Edge will come preinstalled with a dual-boot Ubuntu's phone OS and android. It is neither locked to a specific OS nor to a carrier and you're free to do with it what you want, once you have it in your hands.
So what's the catch? The Edge will only be built if the fundraiser is successful and right now it doesn't look that way. In addition you will not be able to buy the Edge, it only goes to the people that have supported the fundraiser with 695$ or more.

Unfortunately, the fundraiser isn't going so well, with only 10 days left, they still need to raise well over 20Million Dollar. So if you think that the specs and the idea sound cool and you have the necessary funds to support it (there are benefits for smaller donations as well of course: You will be named on their donor site, you can get T-shirts, etc), visit them now!
For more information, some pictures and a first video showing the sleek design of the ubuntu edge als visit the fundraiser. :)

Ubuntu Edge Fundraiser: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

maybe if they actually marketed and sold it, they would do better. But I see no reason to donate 700 bucks to a fundraiser, just for the chance that Ill get a fancy phone. maybe, if they promised my money back if the fundraiser did not succeed.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

Hi

They do. This is one of the core condition sites like indiegogo make to even allow the fundraiser to be listed on their site.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:54 AM

I took a look.

It is a dang nice looking phone and the specs are pretty awesome.  Makes my S3 look pretty weak.

I agree with you unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's going to make it's goal. But, long term, at least they're out there trying to make it happen.

And with things of this nature, that first step (even if it ends up failing) is often the first of many steps in the right direction.

Thanks for the info and link.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

I still would have a hard time forking out 700 bucks like that just for a maybe on a cell phone, and a fundraiser? no sorry. not interested. Fundraisers, are used to feed kids in africa-which I would gladly give 700 bucks for if I had it-phones, are meant to be sold, not fundraised for. Either market and sell the phone, or don't. just my .02 cents.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users