Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Windows back to normal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hello,

I decided to start a new topic because I ran into something that might be worth mentioning that was not included in the old topic. The problem was with windows picture and fax viewer but I noticed that when I try to open up a picture inside of a folder it works fine but when I try to open a picture on the desktop it will show me "generating preview..." and then closes without showing me picture. Another thing I noticed is that I made a shortcut on the desktop to that picture and that also works fine. I have Windows XP Professional SP3.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

The kindest thing I have ever found to say about the Windows Picture and Fax viewer is " That it works, sort of."

I came across Irfanview a few years ago and am now a fervent convert !  Superb image viewer, very quick thumbnails and some editing capabilities. It's primarily a viewer, not an editor. It comes in two parts - the basic program and the extensions, and you are best to download and install both. You can get it from here :

www.irfanview.com

Try it and see for yourself.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I heard about irfanview before but if fixing Windows Picture and Fax viewer isn't that important to fix then I will leave it alone for now.

My next problem is that malwarebytes deleted my utility manager specifically the "utilman.exe" back in july and I wanted to know if I can get that back?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

FWIW:  Background Info:Utilman .

Louis

#5 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Ok then and the last question I have is about nero cd/dvd burner program.

My computer had nero 9 essentials preinstalled on to it but my antivirus had to delete a couple of nero exe's and I was wondering if I should remove nero 9 and install it again with revo uninstaller or download somthing free like ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP? Does anyone here have any experience with ImgBurn or CDBurnerXP? Do they have a feature that double checks the data that was burned on to the dvd? I remember that nero had such a feature and it is reassuring to know that the data being backed up is good.

Edited by PlumAmp24, 19 August 2013 - 06:28 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Any question about a specific application...can probably best be answered at the program support site or forum...or possibly in the BC All Other Applications Forum.  This forum focuses on Windows XP issues.

Louis

#7 PlumAmp24

PlumAmp24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Ok then I am done here I will go over to where you suggested.

Thanks for the help

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

You are welcome :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users