Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvideo GeForce GT 220 fan keeps slowing down and then speeds back up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tylerchase

tylerchase

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

The fan on my graphics card keeps slowing dont hen speeding back up. It started the other day I noticed when powering on my comp the fan sounded as if it was going really fast then later that day the fan started to stop then start up again, at first I thought it might be over heating cause it is hot to the touch when I have it going. I tried opening the tower and letting a fan blow on it but I read it was bad to do that because dust and particles can get inside it easier. So then I went to the store grab a can of dust off and went to town on it. I got rid of most of the dust out of it and it ran better so I closed it back up. I now have had the computer on for like 5 hours not really doing anything with it but letting it sit and it started to slow down then speed back up

so my question is whats going on with it? Any ideas?

my Graphjcs card is a Nvideo GeForce GT 220

its running temp when i play a game like counter strike source 90 degrees C, I read that thats normal but it sounds hot to me.

when Im surfing the net like im doing now to post this its at 74 degrees C

Would it be worth it to invest in a intercooler system or something? Im not to computer savy so I would LOVE a simplified response. Thank you for reading this over!

I attached a pic of what I think are my computer specs also

Attached Files

Edited by tylerchase, 11 August 2013 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tylerchase

tylerchase
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

Running 80 deg

The fan on my graphics card keeps slowing dont hen speeding back up. It started the other day I noticed when powering on my comp the fan sounded as if it was going really fast then later that day the fan started to stop then start up again, at first I thought it might be over heating cause it is hot to the touch when I have it going. I tried opening the tower and letting a fan blow on it but I read it was bad to do that because dust and particles can get inside it easier. So then I went to the store grab a can of dust off and went to town on it. I got rid of most of the dust out of it and it ran better so I closed it back up. I now have had the computer on for like 5 hours not really doing anything with it but letting it sit and it started to slow down then speed back up

so my question is whats going on with it? Any ideas?

my Graphjcs card is a Nvideo GeForce GT 220

its running temp when i play a game like counter strike source 90 degrees C, I read that thats normal but it sounds hot to me.

when Im surfing the net like im doing now to post this its at 74 degrees C

Would it be worth it to invest in a intercooler system or something? Im not to computer savy so I would LOVE a simplified response. Thank you for reading this over!

I attached a pic of what I think are my computer specs also

Im running 80 degrees C while just surfing the net npow

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:53 PM

anything over 106c and your screen will black out, your PC will remain on and you might be able to switch your VGA cable to your auxillary port on the back of your case. if you have one (onboard video)  there very well be something(s) clogging up airflow across your heatsink that compressed air can't remove (i.e. impacted)  which means you may need to  get in there with a toothpick in between the fins of your heatsink and physically

scrape along the surfaces ... or your thermal paste may need to be re-applied.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/354076-33-geforce-gt220-overheating

Edited by synergy513, 11 August 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users