Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newer Power Supply Fans no longer directing heat exhaust outwards

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I just was browsing PSUs and Cases. Can someone more enlightend explain why newer model  power supply fans are now directing hot exhaust upwards right back into the ATX? Are they all configured for bottom mount now??  That heat needs to go OUT, not right back IN . The legacy mATX users now need to drill holes for ventilation, it looks like . I can really go off on this, but will wait for a better time.

coolmax and startech still have the lateral exhaust, and everyone knows about their junk.

Antec PSUs  still exhaust out the back in their Basiq models it looks like.

I was looking for the Rants and Raves section but this will do for now.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

You can still get top mount cases, but let me tell you after switching to a bottom mount case (the coolermaster CM690) I will NEVER use a top mount again ever. I mean, I understand what your saying-you would think that would happen, but it doesn't work that way. In a properly built case like the CM690, with a quality PSU the bottom fan of the PSU sucks in cool air in from the bottom, and out the back, leaving little, to no heat, entering the case. While a top mount case, that bottom fan, is pulling already heated air from inside the case, blowing it over hot components and out the back-increaseing your chances that the PSU will overheat, and therefore heat up the inside of the case.

From what I have seen, I see very few, if any, PSUs, at least not high quality ones such as Coolermaster, Antec, Corsair, or OCZ models, that have the fan on the top of the PSU, theyre all on the bottom, so they can be mounted on a bottom or top mount case and suck air in and out.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

i just can't comment on this becauese of all the words. (clamps hands over mouth). but my laptop is crazy, and i mean crazy cray hot. I try to pacify it by talking to it like it's a plant so it will be somewhat happy. and cool down. but that is only when I am not cussing it out. hence the apropo nature of the word 'bleeping'

#4 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

whew, I knew it had to be something that was new and improved, so that is actually a big intake fan and not an exhaust fan.,  so there is hot exhaust air going out...Thanks Patroit, i thought i was losing my mind when i started seeing those. it still reeks of a conspiracy to sell more bottom PSU mount replacement cases, kind of like digital TVs.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

lol. I see your confusion now-the fan being on the bottom of the PSU instead of the back, yes, that fan is a intake fan, and they found by using a larger, slower moving fan, not only was it quieter but it more effectively cooled the PSU. And the same PSUs will work on both top, and bottom mounted cases.

Though, there is a conspiracy for cases with bottom mounted PSU cases. Its because theyre better. lol.

@stolen, maybe consider purchasing a laptop cooler? you can find them at walmart for like $25 or online for about the same price, or cheaper if you get them on a newegg shell shocker.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

@patriot Awww thank you.  Yes, the laptop cooler helps tremendously.  I had already ordered 2 models to see if they helped.  And thank you for the info on the specs and such on fans and cases. I was just laughing last night because i was tipsy and i know it's a serious matter but all the terms made my mind go places and it was funny...and woohoo...there is a conspiracy on cases!!  LOL 

Ok seriously now...yes, thank you, i got a cooler, actually ordered two after researching lots of them on newegg.  One of them is ineffective, not comfortable at all, but the fan itself is actually stronger and better. The 2nd one, while it does nothing really to cool it down, I mainly like it because I am able to tolerate the laptop on my lap rather than having to set it to the side and type sideways. This one has a nice padded comfortable surface on the bottom to put on your legs, and it is tilted slightly with a large area for the fan opening.

thanks again.

#7 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

depending on how old your laptop is, you might also consider cleaning it (or having it cleaned). There's a good chance that the hot air can not escape and that's why your laptop is getting so hot if the machine is a bit older.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hi @myrti! Thank you! Yes it needs it.  Especially with the dog fur situation.  I have to be really careful because of that pesky husky coat. 

oh, and then there is the long-haired tortoise shell cat fur situation.

btw, i smile everytime i see u. i bowz  :bowdown: cuz u iz teh dorable!!

thx, stolen

#9 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:14 AM

Oh, ok.  now i get it

I can see why it was funny. actually, it keeps getting funnier the more i think about it. A technical discussion concerning next generation hardware configuration and the user who was so used to seeing it the old fashioned way, and the open-minded user who sees the new configuration as a definite thermal advantage. ... There is really no way to get out of that corner. it just keeps getting funnier.

Anyway, your cooling pad is providing a temporary solution for your overheating laptop, but the heat will just keep coming, so a more settled solution may be in the balance. As Myrti stated,  if it is an older machine then chances are your heatsink seated on top of your CPU is in need of a good cleaning.  Those heatsinks get clogged up with dust and debris and then forced air cannot move across those fine copper fins to carry the heat away with the wind. Do not touch a heatsink with anything metal. Maybe a wooden toothpick or a fine plastic projection to get in there and clear the airways. Also, think about filtering the air before it ever makes it past your air intake vents underneath. Common air conditioning filter material and double sided tape works for most.  It isn't the best, but it wll keep dust and debris and pet hair where it belongs, away from the inside of your laptop. Just make sure it is a tight seal on your underneath panel.

I don't know much about Husky Dogs, but I know a few things about long hair Tortoise Shell felines.  Is it a Persian?  Those cats are adorable. I had one twenty years ago.  Now  I have a russian blue, like from the movie "Pet Cemetary". That cat is truly one of a kind.

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

btw, i smile everytime i see u. i bowz  :bowdown: cuz u iz teh dorable!!

:bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

Finally someone acknowledges my adorableness :clapping:

/totallyofftopic

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

definetly agree with cleaning the laptop. Clean air flow is always a must. the fans are still a good recomendation-I recomend them to anyone who has their laptop on for long periods of time, as even with clean air vents they tend to run hotter then a desktop.

and dont feel bad synergy, to be honest, at first I was a bit leary of bottom mounted PSU cases, for much the same reason (I new which way the fans blew, I just was worried it wouldnt be enough and the PSU would heat the inside of the case) and I was a bit old fashioned. I picked up the coolermaster case Im using now on a shell shocker deal from newegg on a hope and a prayer, and loved it. Unless its a baseline system, I wont even use a top mount anymore-if its anything performance, I wont even consider the top mounts. :D

picard5.jpg

#12 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hi everyone. TYSM for the cleaning tips.  I am not sure I should go sticking a toothpick in this laptop.  scarey.  LOL not really.  I might remove the HD and then use some compressed air. 

@myrti absoluty...that was funneh.

@synergy. Wow your russian blue sounds gorgeous :) Yes she is an adorable long-haired silky beautiful little tortoiseshell thing. She is quite petite. I fell for her when I was driving on the freeway and saw a sign on at a vet's office they had 2 kittens.  (Yes I took them both). This was not even my vet! LOL. She was in a cage in their office. The vet had found her only a few weeks old. Her tail was broken (maybe), it has always been bent in a little U. She stays by my side whenever I am home, sleeps right by shoulder. Her name is Tortie :)

Note the TAIL:  

hsy2.jpg

ok everyone sorry for the OT here, but synergy asked and I had to answer :)

#13 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

it is a definite plus to see the test drive take place with  the new bottom mount PSUs. I just remember looking at the images of them and just seeing what looked like the  top fan over and over, it was quite intimidating.   Now that I think about it, most if not all of the large 120mm case fans that mount into the side cabinet panel are for INTAKE. So, now i deduce that those large fans on the new PSUs are also for intake. The larger PSU intake fans make sense also, better air movement and volume (cfm?) in exchange for less energy exerted. Didn't you mention that the larger PSU intake fans are also more quiet? It is a relief to know that the new configuration is at least an enlightening experience. But as you know, elapsed time will tell the durabllity tale.

#14 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

@stolen.

Hey, we ARE tossing in a few on-topic crumbs. Do not poke around with a toothpick just anywhere inside your laptop, i meant only your CPU heatsink. There very well may be dust that is impacted on your heatsink fins and compressed air alone may not jar it loose.

I can't put up the images of my felines, it says the image extension isn't allowed. I can e-mail them to you though!

Keep us posted about your laptop heat reduction procedures!

Edited by synergy513, 14 August 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#15 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

@synergy.  lol ok sounds like good advice.  I really appreciate the tips, I was sitting here wondering if the laptop heat is due to the gawd-awful processing. My poor HD. It works overtime.  Not even kidding.

I also really liked the A/C filter tip...that's awesome would never had thought of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users