Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, I screwed up my winsxs! Now I'm getting a blue screen!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 cygx

cygx

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

So I was trying to free up some space on my SSD when I came across an article at www.xdude.com/ssd-hard-drive-windows-7-winsxs

I was following the steps in the article, which entailed moving the winsxs folder somewhere else where it wouldn't take up so much space. Pretty sure I followed all the steps to the letter, up to the step where you're told to reboot...that step with the blue screen warning.

I figured I followed the steps to the letter and I went ahead and rebooted, thinking the blue screen wouldn't happen. Sure enough, it did, and now I can't get into my computer. The article explains that the blue screen happened to this guy too, but he went into the command prompt to reverse the changes he made and he was all set. The only thing is, he doesn't explain how he did it. Now I'm stuck and in the dark, and I have no idea where my winsxs files went and have no idea how to get them back through the command prompt.

Could someone tell me where they could possibly be, given the instructions from that site? I also have a windows 7 disk...could I copy the necessary files from there back into my windows folder through the command prompt?

Reinstalling isn't an option, only because I don't have a disk with my network drivers on it, and right now I'm accessing the internet via a PS3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Overridden

Overridden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

So I was trying to free up some space on my SSD when I came across an article at www.xdude.com/ssd-hard-drive-windows-7-winsxs

I was following the steps in the article, which entailed moving the winsxs folder somewhere else where it wouldn't take up so much space. Pretty sure I followed all the steps to the letter, up to the step where you're told to reboot...that step with the blue screen warning.

I figured I followed the steps to the letter and I went ahead and rebooted, thinking the blue screen wouldn't happen. Sure enough, it did, and now I can't get into my computer. The article explains that the blue screen happened to this guy too, but he went into the command prompt to reverse the changes he made and he was all set. The only thing is, he doesn't explain how he did it. Now I'm stuck and in the dark, and I have no idea where my winsxs files went and have no idea how to get them back through the command prompt.

Could someone tell me where they could possibly be, given the instructions from that site? I also have a windows 7 disk...could I copy the necessary files from there back into my windows folder through the command prompt? Read below

Reinstalling isn't an option, only because I don't have a disk with my network drivers on it, and right now I'm accessing the internet via a PS3. Right

Let me get this straight... You cannot access Command Prompt with the BSOD? Are you able to restore files somehow (using command prompt) through "Startup Repair" as the website suggests (using a different computer/etc)? Sorry, If I knew... I would help you. I'm better visually than logically.

well, I suggest... asking and searching. If you want your drive back... strive for the truth. I fear forward compatibility problem has occurred on your OS (but I could be wrong).

#3 cygx

cygx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hey, never mind...with some very limited dos knowledge, some googling, and a lot of luck, I managed to pull my computer out of the blue fire. Only ended up losing a few hours of productivity, thank god

Overridden, I did have access to the command prompt. That's actually how I ended up fixing my issue. Thanks for the advice though.

Anyway, what I ended up having to do was get into my windows folder with some type of windows UI. I found out that I could do this by hitting the launch startup repair disk button (something like that), and then hitting cancel when it couldn't find a proper program to run. I hit "advanced", somewhere, and it took me to a Windows UI where I was expected to find the program it was looking for myself. I used this UI to navigate to F:\Windows and rename winsxs.moved to winsxs, effectively attempting to merge the folders and their contents and thus reversing what that website's process instructed me to do. This wasn't enough, though, and some of the moving apparently didn't work, because when I restarted I still blue screened. I then went back into startup repair and ran the command prompt, where I entered

f:

xcopy f:\windows\winsxs.moved\* f:\windows\winsxs /h /i /c /k /e /y /x

It successfully moved everything back to my winsxs folder, and after another reboot I was back online.

I don't suggest anyone try this stunt I pulled if you don't know what you're doing. I learned my lesson.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, a forward compatibility, doesn't bloody work anymore type problem. There's a good reason those files have restricted access. There is a way to do this so it works, but this way is all wrong and timefreezes your system.

To fix it boot from a repair disc and perform a repair installation, you won't lose your data.

No touchy the system files...

edit: easy to follow instructions

Edited by TsVk!, 11 August 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

hey, glad you figured it out. Was typing my response as you typed yours.

didn't know all those switches would be required for that copy, good job researching and sorting it out. :thumbsup2:

#6 Overridden

Overridden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

hey, glad you figured it out. Was typing my response as you typed yours.

didn't know all those switches would be required for that copy, good job researching and sorting it out. :thumbsup2:

Indeed, I'm sorry that I couldn't help more than I did. I didn't understand the actual question but I'm just glad that the OS is still functioning! WAY TO GO BUDDY!

Anyhow, the intent was to save space but by limiting what exactly? Just curious but I don't have to know.

Edited by Overridden, 11 August 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#7 cygx

cygx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

thanks guys, was a stroke of luck tbh. good thing these new video game systems have internet access...

#8 Overridden

Overridden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

thanks guys, was a stroke of luck tbh. good thing these new video game systems have internet access...

Indeed.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

You have an open malware topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503971/zeroaccess-infection-keeps-putting-nasty-things-in-my-machine/#entry3127389 , which needs completion and takes priority over any other topics you may have opened in other forums.

Please pursue that topic to fruition/completion.

To avoid confusion and posting/suggestions which may be at cross-purposes with resolving your malware topic, this topic is now closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users