Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lee Marvin PFC US Marine Corps World War II

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

I have searched the web until I felt dizzy, but cannot find out WHY Lee Marvin is buried in the hallowed military cemetery of great American heroes at Arlington. Nobody seems to know why and if they do, they are not telling.

Lee Marvin lied blatantly about his service with the USMC. He said he was wounded halfway up Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima and was amongst the first wave of Marines that stormed Red Beach. He also said he received the Navy Cross, the second highest US military award.

All a pack of blatant lies. He may have been spinning a yarn to those who would listen whilst having a beer and meant no harm - who knows ? He was not a bad guy and many people loved him, including me.

Lee Marvin did enlist in the U.S. Marines and saw action as a Private First Class in the Pacific during World War II. He was wounded in the buttocks by enemy fire, which severed his sciatic nerve. However, this injury occurred during the battle for Saipan in June 1944, not the battle for Iwo Jima, which took place several months later, in February 1945, by which time Marvin had been invalided out of the  service.

The only medal he received was the Purple Heart, a medal that  everybody gets who is scratched whilst on active service. Marvin never even saw Iwo Jima.

Yet these lies are repeated time and again in many written articles by third parties, who actually must have believed them.

Lee Marvin is buried at Arlington National Cemetery amongst 3-4 star Generals, all well known American heroes, including Lt.General Jimmy Doolittle. His epitaph simply states :- " Lee Marvin PFC US Marine Corps World War II"

But WHY was this ordinary unexceptional PFC soldier buried at Arlington ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Because he met the criteria and asked to be: From: Persons Eligible For Burial In Arlington National Cemetery

(d) Any former member of the Armed Forces whose last active duty (other than for training) military service terminated honorably and who has been awarded one of the following decorations:

(5) Purple Heart

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

Not only that,,,but...he lead the Dirty Dozen!

MV5BMTc3ODc5MzIyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjM5

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Because he met the criteria and asked to be: From: Persons Eligible For Burial In Arlington National Cemetery

(d) Any former member of the Armed Forces whose last active duty (other than for training) military service terminated honorably and who has been awarded one of the following decorations:

(5) Purple Heart

Thank you, I could not find any clue why he was eligible  for burial at Arlington. Many people on the web have also asked the question. I guess it amounts to not knowing exactly where to look.

I must say that the conditions  stated for an Arlington burial are extremely low key. There must be hundreds of thousands of US ex-military ordinary run-of-the-mill personnel who qualify. I fail to understand the lack of "speciality" for such a highly prestigious cemetery.

Rather disappointing, I thought right up to your revelation here that Arlington was for the elite and really famous military personalities and that the ordinary "grunts" were interred in standard military cemeteries elsewhere.

Anyway, thanks Animal. 

Edited by yabbadoo, 11 August 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

Not only that,,,but...he lead the Dirty Dozen!

MV5BMTc3ODc5MzIyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjM5

Big laugh eh ?

The guy was 43 years old when he led the Dirty Dozen. Must have made his eyes water, all that hard physical Commando stuff.

Edited by yabbadoo, 11 August 2013 - 06:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users