Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup and restore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 elprofesor

elprofesor

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

If I make a make a full system image backup in a computer, can I make a restores of it in a nother computer even if the mainboard and drivers of the new one are diferen of the old computer,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Legally, in a word - NO. Not as you describe that process.

What you is asking is "Cloning" rather than just a "Back-up" for your existing system.

This is how you buy those $5.00 Specials from Ebay and other places -

Thank You -

#3 elprofesor

elprofesor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

I did some research.  I have to use Pcmover or Easeup,  ¿I am rigth?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

I use Acronis True Image... works a charm for what you want, and free.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

That is to "back up" for the computer that you have - To create a Disk for Another computer is a clone.

The Motherboard must remain the same, and not for another computer, as I stated above -

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

That is to "back up" for the computer that you have - To create a Disk for Another computer is a clone.

The Motherboard must remain the same, and not for another computer, as I stated above -

No. I clone disks with it... When a disk starts to die I just clone my old one over to the new and stick the new one in, fixed.

edit: but of course you couldn't use that disk in another machine as a boot disk... wouldn't work.

Edited by TsVk!, 11 August 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#7 Overridden

Overridden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

I have a question, I am unable to create an ISO through the Control Panel for any SSD's (that I have) in case the hard drive (in this computer) goes bad. I don't have a disc for Windows 7 OS (darn manufacturer). However, I could make the ISO on a CD-R but the one's I have are only five to seven hundred MB in size (not large enough). Any applications/etc that might be useful instead of control panel? Toshiba Model is L755-S5214. Any help would be great!

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Get DVD's and create a system image (takes up to  4-5 discs)... Won't save your data in the even of a disk failure, but will allow you to load your system back onto a new hard disc without new authorizations for your programs.

edit: or I could be misunderstanding you, the context of this whole thread is ruining me.

Edited by TsVk!, 11 August 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

Toshiba Model is L755-S5214. Any help would be great!

I did contact Toshiba for a set of 3 DVDs as Recovery Media only on my Satellite laptop (L500)

They delivered them to my home for about $40 or so (delivered) in 3 days.

I now have a set of Genuine Toshiba Recovery DVDs if I want to Factory Restore this computer.

Note : These only restore my Make and Model back to Factory (and Yes, I did need them once).

Since then I have made several Back-Up disks of my own, if I need them also.

Ring Toshiba and see what they say -

edit: or I could be misunderstanding you, the context of this whole thread is ruining me.

Original question was RE: mainboard and drivers of the new one are diferen of the old computer

Edited by noknojon, 12 August 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#10 elprofesor

elprofesor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

If I make a make a full system image backup in a computer, can I make a restores of it in a nother computer even if the mainboard and drivers of the new one are diferen of the old computer,

When you have and old computer and you want to useyo everyting in a new computer you can no clone. It do no work becase mainboard and drivers are diferent, 

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:41 AM

context... silly me, or funny question, or both. It was my understanding that the backup/image would be stored on another machine, not used as a boot disk. :scratchhead:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Depends.

Microsoft views a change of motherboard as a new system...and the type of license for the system you intend to back up determines whether or not it can legally be moved to another system.  If the system in manufactured by Dell, HP, or any other OEM...the license is tied to the system it was originally installed on and cannot be moved to another system by any means.

If the license is for a retail version of Windows which was installed by you or anyone else...on a self-built system...and that system is no longer in use...then the license may be moved to another system and a user can do so by whatever means accomplishes the goal.

See Moving Win 7.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users