Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some tips on emptying my SSD for essential files only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cygx

cygx

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

My computer has a 64GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. When I first installed the SSD, I did a complete wipe on everything and set it up so Windows and essential boot and running files would be on the SSD, while my HDD served as a drive for storage and programs, basically everything else.

It's been running fine for a while, but over time my SSD has been filling up and I'm not exactly sure what's been causing it. I try and make a point to place everything I install into my E drive (the hdd). Most of the time it's automatic. Right now it only has 10.1 GB left in it's capacity, so I'm not in the red yet, but I wanna get this problem taken care of early and keep it taken care of so it won't be a problem again.

Alright then, so let's go over it.

10.1 GB free of 59.5 GB, so that means 49.4 GB is being used up.

Going down the properties of each folder in my C drive... (including hidden)

AMD, 138 KB

Intel, 921 KB

PerfLogs, 0 B

Program Files, 525 MB

Program Files (x86), 6.50 GB

ProgramData (hidden), 16.8 GB

SuperChargerProfile (hidden), 270 B

Users, 5.24 GB

Windows, 23.0 GB

Using a byte calculator, this adds up to 52.05371 GB. hey, that's not 49.4. what gives? My folder options are set to show everything hidden.

Anyway, the size of my Windows file has more than doubled since I did my initial tweaks. How can I fix this and keep it from happening again?

Also, is there any way I can set it so I can view the size of my folder contents in the size category? It's all blank, and it would be a lot easier to manage this if I didn't have to right click properties on every single folder to see where my space is going.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

For purposes of comparison only...my Win 7 partition on this system is 60GB, I currently have 42GB of free space on that partition.  Most of my apps are installed on my XP partition, but it's not programs that take up hard drive space...it's data files.  And there is absolutely no reason at all to have data files on a SSD, IMO.

In any case, you can use WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html to see detail on what is where and how large/how much.

Louis

#3 cygx

cygx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

For purposes of comparison only...my Win 7 partition on this system is 60GB, I currently have 42GB of free space on that partition.  Most of my apps are installed on my XP partition, but it's not programs that take up hard drive space...it's data files.  And there is absolutely no reason at all to have data files on a SSD, IMO.

In any case, you can use WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html to see detail on what is where and how large/how much.

Louis

WOW, what a useful application. thanks a lot.

BTW about having data files on a SSD, getting rid of or moving them to conserve space is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

#5 Overridden

Overridden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

I did the best I could to understand what you're asking for. Hopefully, this is okay.

"BTW about having data files on a SSD, getting rid of or moving them to conserve space is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish."

Like space in general? Try CCleaner. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ccleaner

In response to "Also, is there any way I can set it so I can view the size of my folder contents in the size category? It's all blank, and it would be a lot easier to manage this if I didn't have to right click properties on every single folder to see where my space is going."

From what I already know, the size is not shown by default. You might want to explore through the "view" tab options. Maybe you'll find an option to display the size of the folder itself. However, I do know that compressed folders alone will show the size of the contents but the thing to remember is that compressed folders contain files that cannot be used in conjunction with each other. You might try https://duckduckgo.com/?q=spacesniffer as it does not require an installation which is AWESOME as the application is as well! 

Beginner Geek maybe able to help you out as well with this article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/62946/beginner-geek-simple-tips-to-reduce-disk-usage-in-windows-7/

Edited by Overridden, 11 August 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hi,

Looking at your folder sizes and comparing them to mine, your Program Data (hidden) folder seems to be out of line, My numbers are :

Program files      3.0 Gb

Program (x86)  113 Gb

Program data      0.7 Gb  ( 663 MB )

I can explain the size of my program files - I have a lot of software on this computer, and I play simulators ( including one on Steam ) and all except two very old ones are in the x86 folder - but I can't explain the 15 Gb difference between your Program data folder and mine. My Windows folder is only very slightly bigger than yours.

You still have a reasonable amount of headroom on your SSD, but I would be trying to find out why you have such a large program data folder.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Overridden

Overridden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi,

Looking at your folder sizes and comparing them to mine, your Program Data (hidden) folder seems to be out of line, My numbers are :

Program files      3.0 Gb

Program (x86)  113 Gb

Program data      0.7 Gb  ( 663 MB )

I can explain the size of my program files - I have a lot of software on this computer, and I play simulators ( including one on Steam ) and all except two very old ones are in the x86 folder - but I can't explain the 15 Gb difference between your Program data folder and mine. My Windows folder is only very slightly bigger than yours.

You still have a reasonable amount of headroom on your SSD, but I would be trying to find out why you have such a large program data folder.

Chris Cosgrove

What a wonderful observation Chris!

From my brother's Toshiba:

Program Data is larger than 179 MB (approx)..... although it's more like 1.15 Gb according to properties.

Program (x86) is also larger than .7 GB (699MB)... wait.... 2 GB approx according to property window. 

Program files are 2.32 GB.

Windows folder is 19.5 GB in properties although hover-over says larger than 7.62 MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users